Caribou Gear

Guide tipping question

44hunter45

Doing my first outfitted hunt this fall. I've read several sources about tipping. Like most things interweb, they are so contradictory that I'm none the wiser.
Those of you that have done guided hunts, whom do you tip and how much?

15 yrs ago a guy told me rule of thumb was $100/day for your personal guide.

I've done two outfitted hunts - one in Canada and one in Argentina. We took enough cash for 10% total to use to tip. In Argentina, it was a bit more luxurious with cooks/maids so we left $10 each on our pillows each morning for whoever cleaned our rooms. We also left $20 every morning on the counter where our bagged snack was placed from the cook on our way out. What was left went and was split between the various guides.

Both trips we gave all 10%. The service met our expectations. Our plan was to give less if expectations were not met.

What kind of hunt is it?

The only guided hunt I’ve done is or been on is horseback dall sheep. One was a hunt I won and another was a hunt I tagged along on.

On those hunts it was light 22-24 hours a day and we hunted hard. The first time I went I was shocked Seeing how hard they worked dealing with horses, meals, logistics etc, I would have tipped thousands more if I could have.

I was a bit further along in life the second time and we tipped quite a bit. They earned every cent.

I've only done one. Did a bit over 10% split between the guide and the cook. Presumably, there are other hunters in camp, so give more to the guide with the assumption that if each person gives to the cook, they should end up with a good tip overall too.

I'm curious of this as well. Going on my first guided trip this fall too and was curious how much to tip and who to give the tip to. Seems like there is the outfitter, personal guide, cook. Is there a wrangler too or is that just your guide?

I've never been a guided hunt person but I'm equally excited about riding hours deep into the wilderness on horseback and staying in a wall tent while being served cooked meals as I am of the hunt.

10% total, guide, cook regardless of punching your tag unless the whole hunts was a clown show. I.e. guides drinking, different items then what the outfitter implied.
This is the right answer/expectation. I would add: or more if you felt like those folks went above and beyond. When I went to Kodiak with a buddy we tipped the cook $100 a day…each. The food was crazy good. I know we both gained weight on that trip.
If you ever want to go back don’t skimp on a tip. Most outfitters that I know who run a great camp are busy enough they can (and do) say no to folks who are a pain in the ass or don’t tip the staff well.

Last edited:
Only been on 1 guided hunt but we did 10% and everyone seemed happy with it.

I'm curious of this as well. Going on my first guided trip this fall too and was curious how much to tip and who to give the tip to. Seems like there is the outfitter, personal guide, cook. Is there a wrangler too or is that just your guide?

I've never been a guided hunt person but I'm equally excited about riding hours deep into the wilderness on horseback and staying in a wall tent while being served cooked meals as I am of the hunt.
Imo, outfitter has been paid. So cook, wrangler get some and your guide gets most.

I’ve done a couple guided fishing lodge trips. I provided small a small tip to the outfitter/owner but much nicer tips to the actual guide and deckhand. Like others, I figured the outfitter was already taken care of with what I paid him for the trip

I have only had guided fishing trips, we tipped 20%. One trip was a skunk, the other my wife and son boated 100 fish in a day, the son 60 on his first time fly fishing. That 20% was earned.
I'm doing a guided (non-outfitted) pronghorn hunt this summer, so I'll baseline with 10% to the guide. Appreciate the info on this thread, I had really been scratching my head on how much to tip.

David
NM

I have done a half dozen or so guided/outfitted hunts in North America over the past 40 years.

When is just me and a guide then 10% minimum and up to 20% if the guide is cooking and setting up camp with firewood, etc.

If is a fixed camp with staff and I am the only hunter then still 10% minimum to main guide helping me and then $100 minimum to everyone in camp supporting us (cook, wrangler, etc.) but likely $200 if any of those folks are busting their rear for us.

If is a fixed camp and multiple hunters overlap my hunt then I still go 10% minimum to the main guide helping me and then $100 to everyone in camp supporting us and the other hunters.

This is my approach whether the hunt lasts one hour of Day 1 or goes the full number of days without a shot fired.

I don't think anyone gets rich guiding or cooking in a hunt camp setting. I would guess a lot of the outfitters do not get rich either but actually have a love/hate relationship with providing services for outdoor adventures similar to when you have that crazy girlfriend who is amazing in the sheets but then pours acid on your soul.

I just got back from Africa on a hunt. A bit off topic but I took a duffel bag at 70 pounds with over $1,000 of school supplies for the local children in an area where 80% unemployment means a lot of parents struggle to get basic items for children. I tipped the guide and staff along the suggestions of the ranch owner and tossed a couple of hundred extra to the main guide to hold for when the assistant guide goes to buy a suitable rifle for his dangerous game accreditation. In South Africa, you put a deposit on a rifle then you have to pass a few benchmarks so might be close to a year or even more when you get possession of that rifle. A junior guide has to save a chunk up to buy a .416 rifle and I had folks help me out when I was gathering up tools early in my career. I was just paying it forward for a stranger who is a hard-working young fellow with a dream. I realize that if the next hunter in camp was German then no one gets tips and if is a British hunter then only the Professional Hunter is getting tipped but I am in a position to be generous and I did rather than try to solve the riddle of what is fair for American hunters in Africa or if I am making things worse for non-Americans. I will let others toss and turn about such matters.

Last edited:
I've been on several guided hunts and the suggested 10% of the cost of the hunt has always been pretty standard. I try to keep that as a guideline and the 10% is divided depending on how many helpers there are. I have always gone with at least that much cash and then divided it out depending on the kind of service I received. The outfitter doesn't need to be tipped, just the staff. I once had an outfitter guide me, but he had me tip his helpers and wouldn't take a tip. I thought that was a fine gesture.

This is the right answer/expectation. I would add: or more if you felt like those folks went above and beyond. When I went to Kodiak with a buddy we tipped the cook $100 a day…each. The food was crazy good. I know we both gained weight on that trip.
If you ever want to go back don’t skimp on a tip. Most outfitters that I know who run a great camp are busy enough they can (and do) say no to folks who are a pain in the ass or don’t tip the staff well.
exactly. It swings both ways. Last one i was on was a hunt bought at an auction. Even though we tipped well, they were
so busy that they took care of the premium paying customers and we were mostly taken care of but largely ignored. to the point
where we needed to be on the road so i went out to the building where the carcasses were hanging and started quartering
our meat. Part way into it they showed up and finished the job.
Seemed like good guys, but like most outfitters, they were trying to maximize their income during the limited opportunity
of the hunting season and we were the low revenue/bargain hunters.
WE inquired about a return hunt and were told they were booked 2 yrs out. Don't know if that was true or not but
we got the message.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickeells91
Back