Gallatin Canyon Wall Tent Homicide

From what I’m hearing from my law enforcement buddy, they are expecting the gang to move east to wider spaces and less law enforcement. I will be locking the door tonight. I’m not sure it’s safe to camp anywhere.
In other words….don't come out to eastern Montana and shoot all the forkies lol.

Just seems unlikely someone gets chopped up for no reason. Maybe he was an unfortunate witness to some illicit activity...wrong place at the wrong time.

Just seems unlikely someone gets chopped up for no reason. Maybe he was an unfortunate witness to some illicit activity...wrong place at the wrong time.
The wounds described seems to be way more personal than a witness. I imagine a gangster would just end it fast and unload a mag and run. Whoever did this to this man wanted some suffering it seems.

It's truly a mystery. It's a gruesome crime so it seems it would be personal, but when people snap some can do insane things like they blackout. My wife has made me watch a lot of forensic files. Maybe he got in the way of the wrong person cutting firewood. Seriously who knows. Either way it's horrorific and hate the thought of some homicidal lunatic roaming the wilderness with an axe or whatever.

Guy running the metal detector at zoo lights last year asked me if I had any swords tomahawks or 2-3 other stupid weapons. He was shocked when I asked him if I had to go put my pistol back in the car.
I’ve had to do a couple awkward turn around and run back to the truck maneuvers going into concerts or events when I realize I’m getting into the metal detector with a 43X.

Not nationwide.

John R. Lott Jr. is president of the Crime Prevention Research Center and he lives in Missoula. He served as senior adviser for research and statistics in the Office of Justice Programs and the Office of Legal Policy at the Justice Department.

No one ever bothered me when I was camped in my wall tent. Paper plate filled with turds and toilet paper set outside the door was a great deterent for potential ner-do-wells. They figure I'm crazier than they are and leave me alone.

I suspect the victim was not camping alone. His "hunting buddy" is probably already back in Mexico.

No one ever bothered me when I was camped in my wall tent. Paper plate filled with turds and toilet paper set outside the door was a great deterent for potential ner-do-wells. They figure I'm crazier than they are and leave me alone.

I suspect the victim was not camping alone. His "hunting buddy" is probably already back in Mexico.
I’ve never seen pictures of you with other hunters. Now I understand why you are alone when you go hunting…

In 2022 there was a similar murder at a state park here in Iowa. Another camper went unhinged and murdered almost the entire family, with no connection to him, while they were sleeping in their tent. This was at an actual campground so they were able to narrow it down pretty quickly and found the assailant in the woods where he had committed suicide. A lot of people go to the woods for therapy and sometimes they snap. I have a feeling that this is one more tragic case of how muffed up our mental health situation is, yet we continue to cut resources for those people to get help and politicians try to pass the blame to other things.

Last edited:

Well played, self deprecating humor is some of the best.

Sure sounds that way, could also be the ax man was hoping to make it look like a bear, maybe some of both.
My guess is someone in his immediate circle was doing some teepee creeping. Im
Not saying it was him or anything he did but someone near him would be my bet if it wasn’t him.

We need to commit ourselves to staying in the woods and opposing the crazy and/or criminals. If we give them room they will take it. It’s like half-time in a football game. Make adjustments.

It’s so damn sad. We need to fight for what is ours in whatever way we can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back