Football General Talk

So, all you Purdy skeptics, what do you think of him today? I haven't watched every play, but what I have seen has been pretty darn good accuracy, plenty of velocity, and less dink and dunk plays that seem to predominate these days.

Not quite sure why the Vikings are leading, but I'll take it. I won't bet on them holding on, however.
My son and I got to see him live for the first time. Pretty much confirmed for both of us that he is a decent QB in a great system, but definitely not top 10. He had ridiculous amount of time in the pocket and should have done much more with that but was slow in decision making, made some nice plays, but missed a number of reads, should have thrown 2 more picks, played his worst in the red zone, got really confused a few times when vikes D was doing late switches between zone and man. A number of times in the 4thQ he walked back to the sideline just shaking his head - he was flustered in a game he was playing from behind in (normally they are playing with a lead). He is a perfectly good #10-15 QB, but he is no upgrade over Garapallo that they were hoping for when they ditched Garapaollo in favor of Lance. His most important asset is that he is cheap, and that will change next year.

Last edited:
@BrentD and @VikingsGuy Vikings going to the super bowl? Or is this just normal to get your hopes up before they choke?
They are a good 9-8 team playing strong at home with a healthy roster. Nothing more nothing less. And I fear that with the second half injuries they won't even be healthy much longer. The played the 4thQ without their WR1, WR2, and TE1 due to injuries and still moved the ball, so that was nice.

Not a chance. Just a tease.

But I'm hoping I'm wrong. They didn't look too bad today, but there were stretches where the 9ers owned them. It was a strange game on strange day where Detroit lost, Dallas got crushed, and a few other anomalies, and it isn't even 1530 yet.
Live the vibe was that for at least this one day the Vikes were the better team from top to bottom. Even a huge 49ers fan turnout acknowledged it. After the Vikes scored their first TD it never felt like the 49ers were the likely winner even with though they strung together a few nice drives. That is why I love live football with great seats - TV just doesn't give you the real feel for what's going on. The body language on the 49ers sideline after the 1stQ was never one of a team that expected to win, let alone dominate.

Apparently the Vikings missed the memo that this was their year to tank. Their roster is variously dead people, lost to free agency, and a stack of star player injuries. Rebuild year, through and through. With their injury list in May and the rookie CB alive, I still thought they were looking at a 6-11 season. I’ll now give them 9-8 by January.

Looking more and more like O’Connell can elevate QB play. Cousins, there was a little room to grow. Darnold younger and might have more potential. Vikings elite receiving corps for 6 seasons made Cousins look better than he really is.
We saw the whole Darnold roller coaster - 3 or 4 truly stupid plays, and 3 or 4 really great "arm talent" throws. It was the O-Line and the D that carried the day. Haven't seen running holes like this for the purple in 4 or 5 years. Was good to see.

My son and I got to see him live for the first time. Pretty much confirmed for both of us that he is a decent QB in a great system, but definitely not top 10. He had ridiculous amount of time in the pocket and should have done much more with that but was slow in decision making, made some nice plays, but missed a number of reads, should have thrown 2 more picks, played his worst in the red zone, got really confused a few times when vikes D was doing late switches between zone and man. A number of times in the 4thQ he walked back to the sideline just shaking his head - he was flustered in a game he was playing from behind in (normally they are playing with a lead). He is a perfectly good #10-15 QB, but he is no upgrade over Garapallo that they were hoping for when they ditched Garapaollo in favor of Lance. His most important asset is that he is cheap, and that will change next year.
I figured you were at the game. You got a good one. You certainly got your money's worth today.

While I concede, you know much more about football and I do. I'm still gonna say that Purdey is lightyear's better than Garopolo ever was and better than a number ten quarterback by a fair bit. You made quite a few passes that were not only good enough to be caught but were exactly on the button. He threw some fairly long passes with ease and accuracy as well. And he caught receivers in stride extremely well, when the situation called for it.

So, all you Purdy skeptics, what do you think of him today? I haven't watched every play, but what I have seen has been pretty darn good accuracy, plenty of velocity, and less dink and dunk plays that seem to predominate these days.

Not quite sure why the Vikings are leading, but I'll take it. I won't bet on them holding on, however.

I thought the Vikings got the better of the 49's physically. Their defense was flying around the entire game.

While I concede, you know much more about football and I do. I'm still gonna say that Purdey is lightyear's better than Garopolo ever was and better than a number ten quarterback by a fair bit.

QB's that I think are better, in no particular order

Mahomes
Burrows
Allen
Herbert
Rogers (damn I hate giving him anything)
Lawrence
Stroud
Jackson
Stafford
Cousins
Mayfield
Prescott (barely makes the list)
Tagovailoa (needs to retire)

Maybe Purdy is the best of what's left.

Mahomes
Burrows
Allen
Herbert
Lawrence
Stroud
Jackson
Stafford
Cousins
Mayfield

Rogers is a shadow of himself. Still a good arm but can’t move. Kyler Murray should prob be on that list after yesterday.

I’m gonna ride the Vikings high as long as it lasts. I think they are far better than they get credit for. The score of yesterdays game didn’t indicate the ass whoopin Vikes gave to 9rs.

Mahomes
Burrows
Allen
Herbert
Lawrence
Stroud
Jackson
Stafford
Cousins
Mayfield

OUCH!

You are tough...

I agree with Mahomes on the top of the list with a LLLOONNNGGG step to #2.

I think Burrows and Allen (esp. Allen) are way overrated, primarily because they have large caliber guns, but I think Allen in particular, does the Lamar thing and makes dumb mistakes in the process.

Rodgers, is/was certainly up there with Mahomes, but anymore, I don't know. I did not watch him yesterday and it's been 2 yrs since he even played. I predict he will underthrow a fair number of long balls this year, like Brady did.

Stroud is really good and smart.

Some of the others are good, but probably not Purdy good. I would put Purdy in the top 5 easily. He keeps getting it done. He did not lose it yesterday. Ah well, it makes for an interesting season...

Is Williams going to come around? I wonder.

Some of the others are good, but probably not Purdy good. I would put Purdy in the top 5 easily. He keeps getting it done. He did not lose it yesterday. Ah well, it makes for an interesting season...

Man, Purdy could only dream you were his GM. Maybe, they thought highly of Lance at one point.

I see him more like Russell Wilson, a decent quarterback on a really good team. I will say he doesn't seem to have Russell's overestimation of his share of the team's success.

As a Vikings fan, this win was sweet. Taking two from the Packers would nearly make for a great season, likely they will split thou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back