Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk sheds yet?

I saw Oak today and had lunch with him. His big secret?...............................................It is the same bunch of horns. He is hauling them around and taking pictures of them on the ground. Easy to get the loaded pack pictures then.

Nice work Oak!!! Jeezuz, you sure do make a guy wish he had your fuggin job!!
Especially after having my worst horn hunting year ever! i have two brown elk horns for the year, pretty pathetic............

Bear hunting tonight, I stumbled across my first brown set.

Left side
picture.php

Right side, just a bit further up the hill.
picture.php

Together
picture.php

Got to watch him and his buddies feeding for a while (already has pretty good new growth going), and also picked up his right side from last year. Pretty cool night for me.

Who need's a crew cab when you've got a camelbak and a roll of electricians tape?
picture.php

Not a bad year's growth
picture.php

And just because everything looks bigger compared to me
picture.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who need's a crew cab when you've got a camelbak and a roll of electricians tape?

I think Fin just found a new sponsor.;)

Nice find Randy11 and congrats again Oak. I went out for a little hike and found a few. I'll try and post some pics soon.

Nice pair Randy, and good job Elkkill. I've got a handful of antlers spotted at work that I haven't hiked to yet (3 brown elk, 4 white elk, 4 white deer). Saw a really nice brown 6-point elk on my big hike last week, but it might as well have been on the moon. Tough hike to get to it. I'm still studying the map though, and haven't given up. There were 9 bulls within 300 yards of it, so I'm pretty sure there is a pile of antlers on that hillside. When I saw it, I resembled Nancy Kerrigan ("Why? Why? Why?..... ;) )

Oak, Randy, Elkkill2+ and everyone else congrats on the the sheds! Some dandies have been posted!

I'm leaving friday for 9 days of shed hunting in wyoming. Can't wait to see the effects of the shed law. More matched sets? closer together? Only time will tell.

I'm leaving friday for 9 days of shed hunting in wyoming. Can't wait to see the effects of the shed law. More matched sets? closer together? Only time will tell.

I know a couple guys that have been picking a bunch in Wyoming already, but I'm sure they are on land that is open currently ;) If the wyoming closures are working as good as some of the Idaho ones around me then it just means those that sneak in have big days.

Last weekends fun....took the boys out, they found their first elk horn and you would have thought they had just walked into the biggest candy store in america:)

Take good note of the GIANT whitetail horn I found, would like to see if anyone can top that one;)

Attachments

• Braden First Elk horn.JPG
    Braden First Elk horn.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 559
  • Da boys.JPG
    Da boys.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 571
  • horn 1.JPG
    horn 1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 558
  • horn 2.JPG
    horn 2.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 509
  • monster whitey.JPG
    monster whitey.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 560
Very nice find Randy! Dig the electrical tape use! :) How was the bear hunt aspect of your venture?

Nice pic's Crittergitter! :)

Thanks for the great comments everyone ! :)

Oak and Wyo good luck on the continued horn hunts. :D

Critter there is nothing better than seeing the young ones with those awesome smiles and out there playing in the great outdoors.

Thanks to everyone that has shared there pics and stories. They are all great.

Keep them coming!

Oak, Randy, Elkkill2+ and everyone else congrats on the the sheds! Some dandies have been posted!

I got some TU guys together and we pretty much hit every closed area in Western Wyoming already. Wasted trip WDH.

Very nice find Randy! Dig the electrical tape use! :) How was the bear hunt aspect of your venture?

Thanks!
Bear hunting's been slow so far. Oh well, it's a long season.

I put a tape to the rack I found and was pleasantly surprised. When you're used to looking at raghorns those big guys are kind of hard to judge. Any guesses on what he scored with a 40" spread? Here's another picture for reference.

picture.php

WYO, you can't be boasting about a nine day shed trip without posting up pics when you get back. Take lots.

Thanks!
Bear hunting's been slow so far. Oh well, it's a long season.

I put a tape to the rack I found and was pleasantly surprised. When you're used to looking at raghorns those big guys are kind of hard to judge. Any guesses on what he scored with a 40" spread? Here's another picture for reference.

WYO, you can't be boasting about a nine day shed trip without posting up pics when you get back. Take lots.
That is a great set. I don't know how tall/big you are but you can't get your hand around that bad boy. He looks pretty massive.

With my calibrated internet scoring ability I come up with 343 4/8" and that's with a 39" inside spread.

Giving him a 40 inch spread credit, I came up with 327 gross as is, 335ish had he not been broken off on that second tine. 46 and 46.5 inch beams. 58.5 inches of mass. I'm thinking had IDB and GH met me in person before, they would've been a little closer. Good call Oak

Pretty good bull for living on easily accessed public land, in one of the most hunted drainages in Region 2. In fact that second horn was laying on an old road people had been driving (illegally) four wheelers on this spring already.
Definitely good motivation to keep hunting this dwindling little herd of elk, wolves or not.

Saw a raghorn still packing on Tuesday, although my herd of spikes is now a herd of cows.

Last edited:
Back