Elk Knowledge: Books for Beginners

SharkDog

I'm going on my first elk hunt this fall in an OTC Colorado rifle unit. I will probably buy Elk 101 / Outdoor Class, but I like reading a book in the evening. So, what books are most useful to a new hunter.
I read Public Land Elk Hunting, which I enjoyed, but the author spent a lot of time discussing how to exist in the woods and less time talking about elk. I've spent a great amount of time outdoors, but I don't know much about elk.
I will be doing some scouting this summer and fall, but other than general access, I don't have a great idea what to look for. So, I'd love some paper resources about what to look for when scouting. It is unlikely that the elk will be in the same place in August as they are in October, so what should I be looking for?
Similar questions about the actual hunt. What should I be looking for while hunting? (probably elk) What tips or strategies aren't obvious to a dude like me?
Basically, what books are useful to a new dude?

The Elk Hunter and Elk Tactics, both by Don Laubach, are older books but are both entertaining with lots of good info and stories. Not sure if they are still in print but a lot of local libraries in elk country have them.

Not a book but listen to all of Remi Warren’s podcasts (Live Wild Podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, everywhere) focus on the elk episodes and it will
Be time well spent.

I would highly recommend all of Elknut's content. He focusses more on bowhunting, but is really informative. I think he has an app. His Playbook is out of print, but may be on Ebay.

The Elk Hunter and Elk Tactics, both by Don Laubach, are older books but are both entertaining with lots of good info and stories. Not sure if they are still in print but a lot of local libraries in elk country have them.
Thanks! $15 for both of them on Thriftbooks, so they are on the way.

Not a book but listen to all of Remi Warren’s podcasts (Live Wild Podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, everywhere) focus on the elk episodes and it will
Be time well spent.
I will give these a listen sometime. I know there are tons of digital resources, so thanks for pointing me to the good ones. Right now, I am consuming less podcasts, as I haven't been driving around that much lately. But, I will check them out as time allows.

I would highly recommend all of Elknut's content. He focusses more on bowhunting, but is really informative. I think he has an app. His Playbook is out of print, but may be on Ebay.
Thanks! A quick look didn't turn up a print version, but I will check out the app.

I tell most easterners not to hunt elk like whitetail deer. The trend I see is new elk hunters with whitetail deer experience is that they want to hunt slow, make very little noise and they will find a spot to sit for hours. The tactic doesn’t work for elk.

Summer scouting success depends on your tag date. I have found that where elk live in July/August is not where the elk will live in the hunting seasons. September elk are going to transition to the rut areas - usually something timbered. October elk move away from rutting grounds and towards tougher country, especially bulls, who live separately from cows except for the occasional spike or raghorn that might still hang around the cow herds. Tip - if you have a bull tag but keep finding cow herds, you might want to look in another area. November/December bulls are going to live in steep, areas until they migrate to winter grounds.

I’ve read a lot of elk books but boots on the ground is how I learned elk. I took a pic of the elk books I have on my bookshelf.

IMG_0808.jpeg

I tell most easterners not to hunt elk like whitetail deer. The trend I see is new elk hunters with whitetail deer experience is that they want to hunt slow, make very little noise and they will find a spot to sit for hours. The tactic doesn’t work for elk.

Summer scouting success depends on your tag date. I have found that where elk live in July/August is not where the elk will live in the hunting seasons. September elk are going to transition to the rut areas - usually something timbered. October elk move away from rutting grounds and towards tougher country, especially bulls, who live separately from cows except for the occasional spike or raghorn that might still hang around the cow herds. Tip - if you have a bull tag but keep finding cow herds, you might want to look in another area. November/December bulls are going to live in steep, areas until they migrate to winter grounds.

I’ve read a lot of elk books but boots on the ground is how I learned elk. I took a pic of the elk books I have on my bookshelf.

View attachment 332499

Sure, there is no replacement for experience. Thanks for the tips!

I'd love some paper resources about what to look for when scouting. It is unlikely that the elk will be in the same place in August as they are in October, so what should I be looking for?
I don't know of a better resource for elk behavior from season to season than Randy's youtube videos on the different seasons, and his podcasts with Corey Jacobsen. I like reading too, but have found better advice online than in books. There aren't too many recent ones out there, and some of the one's I've perused were written during a different time, when there were more elk and less people, or less elk and less people. GoHunt has some excellent articles on their site.

Biggest thing to know about elk is that their sense of smell matters more than any other sense. Getting past their noses often requires waiting out a thermal shift, or hiking the path of most resistance. I don't know a single elk hunter that hasn't thought they could risk it and take the easier path to get to the elk, and then had their stalk blown by those damn noses. Unlike whitetail hunting, however, using scent free sprays/ozone bags/ and other scent killing stuff isn't as effective because usually you're gonna sweat too much hunting elk anyways. Play the wind.

I definately agree with what @brymoore posted. I mean you can probably get more grouse if you walk slowly, but that's about it.

A few other things I would add to this conversation is if you're coming from the eastern part of the country is to not expect to hunt the day after you arrive. You'll probably be altitude sick and the landscape will be shocking. You can see more than 100 yards which can be very overwhelming. Think sections not individual acres. You have to put miles on your boots. But exploring and not moving half the speed of smell is fun!

Another thing that may or may not have been mentioned is that if you start to smell something delightfully putrid and musky when hiking around then it may be time to slow down for a few minutes and put those still hunting skills to use. Elk reek. Somebody may have mentioned that but it probably is worth repeating. I'm not sure if any of this applies to you, but I'm sure somebody is lurking on this thread and it may help them.

I don't know of a better resource for elk behavior from season to season than Randy's youtube videos on the different seasons, and his podcasts with Corey Jacobsen. I like reading too, but have found better advice online than in books. There aren't too many recent ones out there, and some of the one's I've perused were written during a different time, when there were more elk and less people, or less elk and less people. GoHunt has some excellent articles on their site.

Biggest thing to know about elk is that their sense of smell matters more than any other sense. Getting past their noses often requires waiting out a thermal shift, or hiking the path of most resistance. I don't know a single elk hunter that hasn't thought they could risk it and take the easier path to get to the elk, and then had their stalk blown by those damn noses. Unlike whitetail hunting, however, using scent free sprays/ozone bags/ and other scent killing stuff isn't as effective because usually you're gonna sweat too much hunting elk anyways. Play the wind.
Nobody reads anymore; printed word is dead. Thanks for the specific Randy recommendation. Randy is a prolific content creator, so I will look for those.

I definately agree with what @brymoore posted. I mean you can probably get more grouse if you walk slowly, but that's about it.

A few other things I would add to this conversation is if you're coming from the eastern part of the country is to not expect to hunt the day after you arrive. You'll probably be altitude sick and the landscape will be shocking. You can see more than 100 yards which can be very overwhelming. Think sections not individual acres. You have to put miles on your boots. But exploring and not moving half the speed of smell is fun!

Another thing that may or may not have been mentioned is that if you start to smell something delightfully putrid and musky when hiking around then it may be time to slow down for a few minutes and put those still hunting skills to use. Elk reek. Somebody may have mentioned that but it probably is worth repeating. I'm not sure if any of this applies to you, but I'm sure somebody is lurking on this thread and it may help them.

Everybody seems to agree that the way to find them is to get in shape and burn boot leather, and there is no reason to keep sitting a spot that doesn't have elk in it. Thanks for tips. I like walking, and I am certainly capable of this style of hunting.

Brymoore said they will be in tougher country in October and November. Tougher means thicker, full of deadfall, steeper, and out of the way from trails and roads? Does there seem to be a specific aspect that they favor? The south facing is generally thickest, does it make sense to start checking south facing thick drainages?

Thanks again to all for the tips, comments, and suggestions!

Elk eat grass but try to bed in timber, weather dependent. Cold and snowy they’ll try to find sun. The ridge in the pic had elk in multiple areas. First week of November. Elk were in the open at first light and last light. They moved to broken timber during the day. I was able to find elk midday (glassing) feeding on grass within the timber. We staged an evening ambush as they fed out of the timber. 20+ cows fed past us at 100 yards but the bull was a ghost. Elevation at peak is 7k typical for the area. Elk were 3/4s to 2/3rds up the ridge feeding and would move uphill to bed. East facing slope.IMG_0656.jpeg

Elk eat grass but try to bed in timber, weather dependent. Cold and snowy they’ll try to find sun. The ridge in the pic had elk in multiple areas. First week of November. Elk were in the open at first light and last light. They moved to broken timber during the day. I was able to find elk midday (glassing) feeding on grass within the timber. We staged an evening ambush as they fed out of the timber. 20+ cows fed past us at 100 yards but the bull was a ghost. Elevation at peak is 7k typical for the area. Elk were 3/4s to 2/3rds up the ridge feeding and would move uphill to bed. East facing slope.View attachment 332607
A picture says a thousand words! @brymoore maybe you want to write a book? haha. Thanks. Posts like that are INCREDIBLY useful for visualizing!!

A picture says a thousand words! @brymoore maybe you want to write a book? haha. Thanks. Posts like that are INCREDIBLY useful for visualizing!!
Take my advice with a grain of salt. Elk hunting is different everywhere. The pic is dark and doesn’t show that the ridge is more open than timbered.

I did happen to get the same elk tag this year.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back