Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Economics of Big Game Hunting in Montana

Lots of good info there. Is there anywhere that shows how much is spend all together with fishing/hunting in Montana?

Lots of good info there. Is there anywhere that shows how much is spend all together with fishing/hunting in Montana?

RMEF posted this on their Facebook page. It shows the total for hunting and fishing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 451
That's an excellent infograph...would I be wrong to point out the counties with high hunter dollars spent also have larger blocks of public land?

Access = opportunity> opportunity=$$$$

Nice to see this report compiled in this way.

Just think how much money Sanders county could make if we would transfer to state management and log off all the trees ($$$$). Then we wouldn't have to spend money to fight fires (fires won't burn without trees. $$$$) Hunters could see the deer more easily, success rates would go up. More hunters would come ($$$$$) Fashion designers would follow to capitalize on opportunity and new trends in pink hunting clothes.($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) Prosperity and happiness would rule.

Last edited:
Interesting that the Northwest Corner has significantly higher % of revenue from residents than nonresidents. I guess nonresidents go up there to sightsee but not to hunt!

Interesting that the Northwest Corner has significantly higher % of revenue from residents than nonresidents. I guess nonresidents go up there to sightsee but not to hunt!

Wuffs. We got wuffs up here. Ain't been a live deer or elk seen nigh on thutty years. I do think there are fewer N.R hunters in this area than in the past. I'm just going off of the numbers of out of state tags I see on vehicles while hunting. Don't really have numbers to back that up. Fishing has picked up in popularity on the reservoirs.

Does anyone know how these numbers for income generated compare to Agriculture? I fear to even try and gain some traction in the legislature the money would speak volumes.

Does anyone know how these numbers for income generated compare to Agriculture?
Hunting generated revenues are not even close. However, when tourism as a whole (including hunting-related) is analyzed compared to agriculture, tourism generated revenues are very close and expected to exceed agriculture revenues at some point.
The important significance is that tourism is critically dependent on federal public lands ... and on those special places unique to Montana. The same holds true for all states where hunting and tourism are important.

In the eastern part of the state the counties with the spending is dominated by counties with lots of private land and healthy big game populations.

makes a difference when you look at the deer one...did not see that one....and I did not realize that you could click on the county to see the break down... maybe I should hire a computer tutor....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back