Advertisement

Dogs and "treats"

Spoke with our vet owner in Montana and the same with our current vet.

This is their experience with grapes and raisins... to clear the air for any curious:

They've had dogs brought in who ate a single oatmeal cookie with raisins (a single cookie) and had kidney failure meanwhile, other dogs with human concerns (such as my setting) where nothing adverse occurred. Veterinarians recently learned the toxin grapes release though a complete unknown why it affects some dogs and not others. This is not some, "breeds" of dogs, it is unknown for dogs in general. Weight, activity, etc. It's a complete unknown.

Top it off, I was quick to bring mine in whereas issues were present that prompted people to bring their dogs in for unknown reason and the kidney was at the crux of the issue - then learned of raisin(s) (oatmeal cookie example), grapes, etc were a player of recent treats. Along with this, as AKC notes, a SINGLE grape can cause kidney failure.

In the end, grapes are no laughing matter nor miniscule on the level of concern. Grape(s) are in the top five of the most toxic deadly food items for dogs. Interesting, garlic is one of the leading threats to dogs.

Food for thought.

Oof. My dogs have eaten grapes and raisins, inevitable with young kids, and fortunately no ill effects.

I have made my dogs puke via hydrogen peroxide and have kept an eye on them. Plenty of water. Couple slices of bread to slow any toxicity they may be dealing with. Was more concerned when my lab ate an entire double batch of Christmas M&M cookies. Dose of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and then I got to go around the yard with a shovel to chuck frozen piles of Christmas colored puke over the fence.

Completely understand the abundance of caution on your part. I don’t know that I’d sign on for 48 hours of observation, seems excessive in that aspect.
Was coming here to share the hydrogen peroxide trick. makes em puke on command

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrapperJ
Back