Did anyone see this?

I wonder why they spoke to him without making an arrest first
As said before, it comes down to probable cause. You can't just arrest someone on suspicion alone. In this case, it was initially genealogical DNA that was matched to family members including him, not anything directly to him specifically. Until they tested his DNA itself, there is no way to confirm his involvement to the level of probable cause to arrest him. In hindsight, they probably should of looked for DNA samples from the suspect through searching the trash or something that would have his specific DNA on it, but that is hindsight which is always 20/200 or better.

Bittersweet when I think of the epidemic of missing and murdered indigenous women in this State whose families don't get so much as a second glance.

Talk about a complete path of destruction starting with the victim first and foremost and her family all these years, now his own wife and kids, and the fact that his own family is denied any life insurance benefits after all of this. Truly
A lot of policies will pay out benefits even from suicide. Typically the policy has to be in place for a certain number of years. 5 years, etc.

A lot of policies will pay out benefits even from suicide. Typically the policy has to be in place for a certain number of years. 5 years, etc.
Thats correct and Im in that field. Most policies currently have a 2 year exclusion for suicide. Theres also an exclusion for payment if the death was during the commission of a felony, but Im not sure where this case would fall given the extreme circumstances. Honest guess would be yes it would payout assuming its past the suicide exclusion period.

Just a sad story all around. Only bright side is the girls family got closure. Unfortunately his family is now left to bear the burden left behind.

The connection to people here is mind blowing to me.

Bittersweet when I think of the epidemic of missing and murdered indigenous women in this State whose families don't get so much as a second glance.
Well, now that you’ve mentioned that, do you have a theory?

It will be interesting to see if any more cases come out of this, from across the nation. We had a local guy who died of natural causes a few years back but last year they announced he was a serial killer who travelled the rail lines in Indiana and Ohio 30 years ago.

He worked for the rail road. I have a buddy in Wisconsin that's retired RR that worked and traveled with that guy. Told me it's one of those guys that you never would have guessed.

He worked for the rail road. I have a buddy in Wisconsin that's retired RR that worked and traveled with that guy. Told me it's one of those guys that you never would have guessed.
He’d been dead of cancer for several years when they made the announcement. His family had no clue. After the announcement rumors were rampant around here like they impounded his car and found evidence, they dug up the backyard and found more victims, and so on. It truly is devastating to the family who thought they knew someone, but turns out they were a complete stranger.

You know @ismith i have thought about the " why". It often seems that women who have the will to live beyond the reservation, and show promise, are targets. Sure, there is an element of substance abuse, trafficking etc but many women are tracking in a positive direction. The regularity of indigenous women disappearing is very odd in my opinion.

good for the sheriff's department for opening it back up. Glad they ended up with a resolution, and especially glad the family gets some closure. makes me sick to my stomach knowing people are capable of this. That guy deserved worse than what he got, but at least he's gone.

Quick search of the SD database shows 50 missing indigenous women. The State has started to direct resources toward finding them but, sadly, never hear any success stories. A true tragedy.

So sad. Scary too. You would think you'd be safe in a little Montana town.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oez88
Back