Dealing with cows

COrookie

Got and set up camp about a week early for scouting, hunting muzzy season here in Colorado. Woke up this morning, was gonna be a chill day just driving some roads, getting to know the unit, figuring out trailheads and access points to spots I e-scouted, but there was a bunch of cows in camp. Picture attached. I've been spending all morning thinking if I should move camp locations. Downside is, all camping in the area is designated, so I can't just set up anywhere, the location is good and central to all the spots I plan on hunting, and it's about to rain so breaking down, finding a new spot, and setting up may be a bit of a endeavor. Is the general recommendation to leave? Can I cow proof this spot? What experiences do you have with this kinda stuff? The cows individually are docile but I'd hate for them to stampede me. Idk if I'm overthinking this but any recommendations on how to deal with it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240910_080913.jpg
    20240910_080913.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 76
Usually 1 main road will be designated camping only, side FRs will be dispersed. Maybe find another road with more selections? What part of the state are you in? I would worry more about all of the cow shit vs a stampede

What did you do?? Set camp on a mineral block??
Looks like they all have their face in something. I’d get rid of whatever that is.

Been a cattle farmer my whole life. They wont stampede you. Thats the movies. If you move a few typically they all will. Make sure you have Red on lol.
Haha there was one when I walked out of camp that was cute, the other ones bugged me 😆 🤣

send a slug into a medium sized one, take it home and say this is the best elk I've ever had :ROFLMAO:

You're going to have to chase them off a distance so far that they'll not want to come back. They're definitely going to come back eventually so make them unwelcome by removing that charcoal and hazing them. The only way to truly keep them from messing up your camp is to setup a fence because they'll definitely rub on your tent and truck when you're not around.

GMU 55 north of crested butte. I guess the NF service passed some rule where all camping in the area is designated. Unless I pack up and go south, thinking Gunnison area, which is lower elevation and I've done 0 scouting down there because i figured the elk would be up higher, it'd be completely new.
Hunted 55 a few years ago. Cows all over the place, in the same elevation as elk. In camp. In hunting spots. I realize cattle on public land in some areas is a right from years and years back but IMO cattle should not be in the alpine wilderness. Given the amount of cattle in that unit I would probably not hunt it again.

Looking at the picture, none of the mommas see you as a threat. The most danger you are in is tracking wet cow shit into your tent. Not to say they aren't just stupid enough to walk over you while you sleep. Cut yourself a longish switch and move 'em out. Move the cows and let the calves follow, do not try to move the calves. A cow will let you hit her on the forehead with a hammer, about the only thing that sets them off is their maternal instinct.

We raised cow calf pairs. You and the cows get pretty used to each other after a bit. But I have seen an aggressive range cow or two over the years. Read them the same as a Bison. Head down, tail up you need to put something between you. Tail down, head up and you are safe enough. Head down, tail down, something must be tasty.

You could go the portable electric fence route. If they are not respecting it, put some peanut butter on it. When they lick the peanut butter and get hit on the tongue, they learn fast.

My horse will sneak out of his pen to tip over the Weber kettle for the ashes. He will eat every bit and then lick it clean. I always figured it was the salt.

Got and set up camp about a week early for scouting, hunting muzzy season here in Colorado. Woke up this morning, was gonna be a chill day just driving some roads, getting to know the unit, figuring out trailheads and access points to spots I e-scouted, but there was a bunch of cows in camp. Picture attached. I've been spending all morning thinking if I should move camp locations. Downside is, all camping in the area is designated, so I can't just set up anywhere, the location is good and central to all the spots I plan on hunting, and it's about to rain so breaking down, finding a new spot, and setting up may be a bit of a endeavor. Is the general recommendation to leave? Can I cow proof this spot? What experiences do you have with this kinda stuff? The cows individually are docile but I'd hate for them to stampede me. Idk if I'm overthinking this but any recommendations on how to deal with it would be appreciated.
Cheap and easy would be get an electric fence around your camp. Probably $200 for everything you'd need.

Woke up to this in WY a couple years ago - one standing in the fire pit doing exactly that:
View attachment 339815
As @belshawelk notes - I got a couple of them moving up the valley and the rest followed.
Got stuck up to my axles a couple of years back just before nightfall, decided to sleep in the back of my truck till I could hike out and get help in the morning. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling like something was watching me, sat up to a dozen or so cows standing around my truck bed staring at me with an intense curiosity. Was oddly calming and weird all at the same time.

Cheap and easy would be get an electric fence around your camp. Probably $200 for everything you'd need.
I've got 300 feet of rope, I'm about to build a fence. Not electric, but hoping they see/feel it and at least stay out of the site. If they go around I'm cool with it. They were only in camp about 20 minutes before they moved on. Spent the last few hours since checking out other roads and campsites. Every road is designated camping only and cattle are everywhere. So I'm just gonna get to cow proof the site the best i can with what I have.

Idk if I'm overthinking this but any recommendations on how to deal with it would be appreciated.
Yes your overthinking. The worst case is that they rub on your tent or camper or whatever and crap around your camp. Otherwise they will go on their merry way. Since your ML and will be in orange they won't have any issues, but my experience in full camo is they will bust out of your area making a lost of noise. Not an issue if your not close to where elk are, but I have jumped several elk within a half mile of cattle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archaic hunter 63
Back