Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Leupold 2.5-8x36 still worth it?

stone1642

Now that Leupod added $100 to all their scopes, I'm wondering if the VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 is still worth it? I know they added the zero lock, which is nice, but for $500 I'm curious what else is out there in the sub-13 oz. range a person should consider.

You can still hunt down previous generations, and you’ll pay about what they were new ($300-350). The Freedom in 2-7 is also an option at the lower price point.

It won’t save you any money but I’d definitely check out the Maven RS.2 and if you want to spend a little bit more the Swaro Z3’s have a $100 rebate on them right now.

I had that scope on my 300 WSM for about 20 years, recently replaced it with a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42, which is a bit pricier but just under 13 oz. Nothing really wrong with the Leopold but I'm happy with the newer scope. Still have a 2.5-8x on a back up rifle.

The Leupold 2.5-8x36 is one of the best straight up hunting scopes out there. Low enough 2.5x to hunt under 30 yards…and 8x is enough to hunt whitetail at 300 yards. Clear and bright enough to hunt right up to 30m after sunset. No bragging, no boasting. Just a straight up hunting scope with a super clean duplex reticle. It’s really wonderful

The thing is, you can get a better scope for Paper. But that never stopped me from dropping .5 MOA groups at 200 yards. Sure, it’s not the best for squirrels or ground hogs. Or extreme long range. But for overall medium sized big game at reasonable ranges (300-ish) it’s one of the best of a reason.

I’ve got one on my favorite rifle - a Remington M7MS in .257 Roberts. I’ve also got one on my Merkel K1 in 7mm RemMag. In both cases, anything under 300 yards is covered. 350 with a smidge of holdover. If I need something different, there’s a real reason why I need it.

What more does one really need?

I wish Leupold would go back to offering the VX3 family with capped turrets. I love the older 2.5-8x36 and 3.5-10x40 for simple hunting scopes.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back