Corner Crossing latest

Litigation should always be the last resort. When it comes to results, the front end is where you get them: the ballot box, commission meetings, legislatures, etc.
Yeah, yeah I agree. But it doesn’t hurt to collect some future fees for the lawyers. You know what I’m say’in…:ROFLMAO:

Was there an attempt in this year's legislator in any of the western states or specifically address corner crossing with a for or against bill?

Was there an attempt in this year's legislator in any of the western states or specifically address corner crossing with a for or against bill?

there was effort to legalize it here this past session I believe it was. It got tabled. Or killed. I can’t remember.

I'm curious to know Idaho's stance on this. The whole thing is really BS when ranchers deliberately lock thousands of acres of State land so they can sell trespass fees.
The appeals court’s ruling will only apply within its six-state jurisdiction, which includes Colorado, Utah and New Mexico — states with hundreds of thousands of acres of corner-locked land. But it will serve as persuasive precedent elsewhere, notably the heavily checkerboarded states that fall under the 9th Circuit. California, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho and Montana are among those.

Of the 13, the 9th is likely the most favorable for a corner crossing case, IMO.

Someone needs to find an arrogant landowner / manager in a county that is heavy UPOM and cross a corner. Push that snowball down the hill.
What does UPOM mean?

What does UPOM mean?
United Property Owners of Montana. Very outspoken opposition for incidents such as corner crossing.

Hank Patterson has some thoughts:

Spot on. I can already think of a prime hunting place that has this very same issue and the guy who owns it wants to charge $3500 a week just for access. His property is not that great, but he knows getting to the public BLM land is. What a tool.

Amazing 😂 I'm all for private property rights, but, sorry there's just no valid argument against corner crossing IMO
NONE!!!!!!! They are making money off federal lands that we all own, paying politicians and telling us to get lost! The property they own would lose massive value so they pay the politicians/lawyers.:mad::mad:

NONE!!!!!!! They are making money off federal lands that we all own, paying politicians and telling us to get lost! The property they own would lose massive value so they pay the politicians/lawyers.:mad::mad:

I feel like you are seriously underestimating the trauma and mental anguish of Hank Patterson’s butt cheeks passing through my airspace. Surely that’s worth some financial compensation.

The ruling should be very soon…..
Sam Kalen, professor of law at the University of Wyoming, said there are two major issues in this case. One involves what is known as the Unlawful Inclosures Act, a federal law preventing private landowners from obstructing access to public land.

"There's a good chance that the 10th Circuit's going to, you know, maybe adopt some sort of 'unreasonable' test," Kalen predicted. "Suggesting that landowners can't do things that result in sort of a nuisance or unreasonable interference with any access to public lands."

The other issue, Kalen noted, is trespassing, which is a matter of state law. A Wyoming federal judge ruled the hunters were not trespassing in a decision last year. More than 8 million acres of public lands in the West are "corner-locked," according to recent data.

The court's decision could affect other states in the Tenth Circuit, especially those with similar landholding patterns, including Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. An appeal of the decision would next go to the U.S. Supreme Court, but Kalen noted it likely would not be heard.

"The court doesn't take up that many public lands cases," Kalen acknowledged. "There's no conflict in the circuits, which means that the court would have to conclude that it's really serious, national significance."

Kalen added the case is unique to typical hunting encounters in Wyoming, as both parties are from out-of-state.https://www.publicnewsservice.org/2024-07-17/public-lands-wilderness/tenth-circuit-court-expected-to-decide-on-public-lands-access/a91362-1

Close, I applied for a leftover tag in two units where this case has a material impact, but did not get either one. I've e-scouted the stew out of both and have inside local knowledge from a guy who hunts private in one of them.

As such, I am especially interested in these 'dud units' more than ever. I will apply as a second choice in the first round next year. It just seems like taking four months to decide after both sides put forth their best is a poster child of laches.

Back