PEAX Equipment

Comparison of Resident Opportunities in Different States

J_Woulfe

Hi all

I've been a resident hunter in 3 different states so far throughout my life, Texas, South Dakota, and New Mexico. Each state has very different experiences for their resident hunters. I find it difficult to wrap my head around what opportunities resident hunters in other states are granted, and I'm interested to hear HTs perspectives on different states. I'll briefly share my experience below.

Texas has plenty of opportunity, several tags are available OTC, but very limited access, and a high $ barrier to entry with accessing most private lands. Public land big game hunting is far less enjoyable than in other states as Texas has so few acres of public, huntable land, and much of this land isn't open for deer hunting. Texas also has 28 million people, so these challenges shouldn't come as a surprise. Hunting feral hogs was more accessible and much cheaper, but I'm not sure if that's changed in the years since I left. I also did some fur bearer trapping which was accessible and cheap.

South Dakota had a wonderful system, a mix of some OTC tags, and draws with preference points that added +1 every year. I could reliably hunt antelope every other year with a rifle, and every year with a bow. Elk draws were a little harder, but I never applied for elk. Deer I could buy multiple OTC archery tags every year, and pretty reliably draw rifle hunts in non-premium units. OTC turkey tags, and legendary pheasant hunting. Unfortunately, I never hunted pheasant so I don't have much input here.

New Mexico, of course, is 100% lottery, 1 tag opportunity per species in the draw, and is a total crapshoot. The e-plus landowner tag program is highly controversial, but it does provide, in effect, the opportunity to purchase OTC tags. Its a shame that 0% of that money goes into the Game and Fish dept though, and I haven't partaken. Fall bear tags can be purchased OTC, and NM allows hunting with dogs on public land. OTC spring turkey. There are also some special turkey and bear draws.

Last edited:
Alaska offers residents lots of opportunity to hunt multiple big game species annually. Montana might be the best Lower 48 state for resident big game opportunity for multiple species. Wyoming is also quite good as a resident.

Have hunted most of the other states out West including three as a resident. If big game tags were easy as was the case for WA and OR then quality of the hunt experience was doubtful. If tags were generally difficult as in AZ then you weren’t hunting very often.

Louisiana has tons of resident opportunity. Too much, in my opinion, when it comes to public land deer and turkey.

I’m in AZ and the draw system here has become a disaster for residents IMO. Lots of pressure from out of staters who get the same preference points each year. The antelope draw will likely require over 20 years of points to be drawn. The elk draw is famously difficult also. I’d love to see out of state hunters not eligible for more than 1% of the tags. I’d also love it if a person who draws a bull elk tag cannot even apply for 5 years. The resource is just not up to the number of applicants. I’ve tried the last 5 years just for a late season cow tag. Cannot even draw that.

I’m in AZ and the draw system here has become a disaster for residents IMO. Lots of pressure from out of staters who get the same preference points each year. The antelope draw will likely require over 20 years of points to be drawn. The elk draw is famously difficult also. I’d love to see out of state hunters not eligible for more than 1% of the tags. I’d also love it if a person who draws a bull elk tag cannot even apply for 5 years. The resource is just not up to the number of applicants. I’ve tried the last 5 years just for a late season cow tag. Cannot even draw that.
Just took a look at gohunt and the good news for you is if you now presumably have 5 elk points in AZ there are 47 different cow tags with 100% draw odds. And lots of 20+ percent odds on late rifle bull tags. Good luck in the draw next year.

Just took a look at gohunt and the good news for you is if you now presumably have 5 elk points in AZ there are 47 different cow tags with 100% draw odds. And lots of 20+ percent odds on late rifle bull tags. Good luck in the draw next year.
Yep it’s just been bad luck but next year should be a draw for me on cow hunts!

Colorado has plenty of "opportunities " , but that also comes with a convoluted, confusing licensing system, TONS of out of state hunters AND very short seasons for everything other than bow season. Indiana has a license/season system I like but opportunity is much more limited and private access is now about $$$$.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlpineCB
Back