CO Mountain Lion Ballot Initiative: Continuous Updates

I've been seeing some good clips (ads) on YouTube that advocate for responsible wildlife management, which is great! I am curious how you can expand the interaction to non-hunting voters? Getting CPW to provide a perspective should help. It still comes down to a perspective on hunters by the non-hunting public and every interaction is a means of helping shape the public's perception. I really hope this initiative is stopped.
FWIW, CPW is statutorily prohibited from commenting on ballot measures. I believe the wolfies exploited that in their ballot initiative campaign. CPW does not support ballot initiatives for wildlife management, they have a robust, research and science-based staff of biologists and land managers to make those decisions about best wildlife practices. I know this because I was told directly by every CPW staffer i encountered, from previous Director to the wolf czar and everyone in between.

I saw that in some of the articles, very neutral position that they will "follow the guidance of the voters." Has there been an initiative to create a ballot measure that prevents ballot measure biology?! Granted, I would be worried about making support if it fails, but that seems appropriate.

FWIW, CPW is statutorily prohibited from commenting on ballot measures. I believe the wolfies exploited that in their ballot initiative campaign. CPW does not support ballot initiatives for wildlife management, they have a robust, research and science-based staff of biologists and land managers to make those decisions about best wildlife practices. I know this because I was told directly by every CPW staffer i encountered, from previous Director to the wolf czar and everyone in between.
Before it was a ballot initiative, this was published.

Attachments

• Bobcat-Lion-Lynx-Management-FAQ.pdf
    433.6 KB · Views: 22
I saw that in some of the articles, very neutral position that they will "follow the guidance of the voters." Has there been an initiative to create a ballot measure that prevents ballot measure biology?! Granted, I would be worried about making support if it fails, but that seems appropriate.

You need to be thorough in discovering if that approach would be considered constitutional since you'd be singling out one specific set of people, rather than a broad set of interests.

Michigan's approach to the issue preserves public involvement, reduces politics and helps create a better approach. Prop G in 1995 gave exclusive authority to set seasons on game animals to the commission, essentially depriving other entities from being deciders on season length, type of animals, etc. There are still work arounds, but it reinforces the NAM well.

You need to be thorough in discovering if that approach would be considered constitutional since you'd be singling out one specific set of people, rather than a broad set of interests.

Michigan's approach to the issue preserves public involvement, reduces politics and helps create a better approach. Prop G in 1995 gave exclusive authority to set seasons on game animals to the commission, essentially depriving other entities from being deciders on season length, type of animals, etc. There are still work arounds, but it reinforces the NAM well.
I get that, granted someone with a better understanding of the legal basis should be involved. If ballot decisions can be used to change harvesting one would believe that they could also be used to prevent radical changes. I would also consider caution on putting the authority in the commission, as that has been called out numerous times (on these forums) as not always focusing on biology. I appreciate Wisconsin's approach with the use of the Conservation Congress providing an advisory body to the Natural Resource Board but one can not take what works in one state and simply apply it to another, as you indicated the State's laws and constitution vary on its authority.

I get that, granted someone with a better understanding of the legal basis should be involved. If ballot decisions can be used to change harvesting one would believe that they could also be used to prevent radical changes. I would also consider caution on putting the authority in the commission, as that has been called out numerous times (on these forums) as not always focusing on biology. I appreciate Wisconsin's approach with the use of the Conservation Congress providing an advisory body to the Natural Resource Board but one can not take what works in one state and simply apply it to another, as you indicated the State's laws and constitution vary on its authority.

Yeah, your commission is a bit less concerned about protecting hunting than other states.

People, you need to ask YOUR hunt conservation organizations what they are coughing up to oppose these wreckless initiatives...

While @perma 's post presents $75,000 -

Let's share what YOUR organization has contributed. If YOUR organization is unable to answer with a meanful declaration of support - question why YOU support them.

Some tough questions to ask people/organizations that frequent Hunt Talk for their raffles that I have also contributed...

RMEF encourages its members, both in Colorado and across the country, to contribute directly to the Wildlife Deserve Better campaign. So far, RMEF has invested $200,000 in support of the campaign.

What has YOUR organization contributed? One would think we would learn from these anti-hunt nuts wolf initiative. They WON by only 0.91% of Colorado votes with 2 x's the international woof hugger funding...

The RMBS has contributed $63,000 to date. They have 200x fewer members than RMEF.
That is the type of news that needs to spread, @Oak . The word needs to spread to the various organizations. PRESSURE on those organizations sitting on their ass. Puts a HELL OF A TON MORE value towards suporting RMBS raffles - Right? It does come next go around from me, that is certain! I've been in them not to win (would love to... haha!)

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers?

National Wildlife Federation?

Boon and Crockett Club?

Mule Deer Foundation?

Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership?

Wild Sheep Foundation?

If you're a member, question.

Promote! Endorse. SUPPORT those that are financially involved.

Kick them in the ass if they are unable to share valid confidence and not simply sunshine blown up your ass.

Toss an extra $20 yourself into the coffers. Press for raffles to raise $$$ for this specific purpose.

Even local rod&gun clubs in and out of state. These Colorado focused initiatives are the foundation to expand into other States with even more vigor unless collectively we, hunt conservation clubs unite.

You part of Hellgate? Ravalli (NW MT clubs). Small dollars mean a chit ton. It presents a far greater *United* front.

Last edited:
This is a Colorado issue, and it’s for the residents to decide for their own state.

I am not sure that it is appropriate for some of these national or out-of-state groups to be involving themselves, especially when their own causes need the money badly.

This is a Colorado issue, and it’s for the residents to decide for their own state.

I am not sure that it is appropriate for some of these national or out-of-state groups to be involving themselves, especially when their own causes need the money badly.
Nearly all of the money to ban mountain lion hunting is coming from out-of-state. And once these anti organizations find success in Colorado, they will expand the scope and range, targeting other species and other states.

This is about all of us coming together to stop it dead in its tracks, here and now, before they ruin the most effective conservation model on the face of the earth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back