Advertisement

Cats Aren't Trophies

implying you have to be a callous individual to suggest they are a food source.

oh buddy, i can play the-lump-everyone-into-one-category game too.

for ****s sake.

Anyone else feel that freedom of press is the most abused first amendment?
It’s not that the freedom of the press is abused, it’s that the press has become so biased in their reporting. Shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone which direction the Denver/Boulder press will lean on this issue. That being said, it is not an obstacle we can’t overcome.

freedom of press is not what is abused and free speech is the absolute bedrock of democracy in my opinion.

the abuse is freedom of "facts."

unfortunately that abuse isn't restricted to one side. in a perfect society it would self police. rather, it is embraced.

It’s not that the freedom of the press is abused, it’s that the press has become so biased in their reporting. Shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone which direction the Denver/Boulder press will lean on this issue. That being said, it is not an obstacle we can’t overcome.
Well, that is an op-ed written by a member of the community, not the newspaper. Hopefully CRWM will submit a rebuttal opinion.

Well, that is an op-ed written by a member of the community, not the newspaper. Hopefully CRWM will submit a rebuttal opinion.
Absolutely. The question is whether the Denver media outlets will publish rebuttals from hunters/hunting organizations. CATS proponents are all over every news outlet continually using the term “trophy hunting” and not one single journalist questions their use of the term. Come on now. Even the non hunting Secretary of State Title Board took issue with the term in the Prop title.

Well said, I can subscribe to this post.

Like I said, it’s a hot take for what I said. We all have our own opinions. I think I’m just triggered because this is an important topic, and I don’t feel all the facts were presented for undecided CO voters.

Keep fighting residents. I’m with ya to the end.

Absolutely. The question is whether the Denver media outlets will publish rebuttals from hunters/hunting organizations. CATS proponents are all over every news outlet continually using the term “trophy hunting” and not one single journalist questions their use of the term. Come on now. Even the non hunting Secretary of State Title Board took issue with the term in the Prop title.
Hard to tell, but they have before: https://www.denverpost.com/2023/10/11/mountain-lion-hunting-colorado-big-cats-ballot-measure/

DP's actual news coverage, as opposed to opinion letters written by the public, has been fairly balanced on this issue: https://www.denverpost.com/2024/07/...hy-hunting-initiative-mountain-lions-bobcats/.

I remember when CALI voted to ban lion hunting. I lived in Northern California and didn’t see any commercials on local TV. for or against it. Went to visit relatives in the Los Angeles and the local T.V. stations were loaded with commercials portraying lion hunting as cruel and horrible. Showed lions being shot out of trees with the sad music and all. Very effective at making it look bad. Of course most all of the city folks voted it in.

I remember when CALI voted to ban lion hunting. I lived in Northern California and didn’t see any commercials on local TV. for or against it. Went to visit relatives in the Los Angeles and the local T.V. stations were loaded with commercials portraying lion hunting as cruel and horrible. Showed lions being shot out of trees with the sad music and all. Very effective at making it look bad. Of course most all of the city folks voted it in.
There seems to be a gentlemen's agreement not to use gory footage on either side in CO. If the anti-hunters show videos of a lion getting shot, the pro-hunters can post endless footage of cats ripping fawns to pieces.

Well, it appears that Colorado State University’s Anti-Hunting Policy Center is back at it again. Crazy to think that CSU, a major ag and wildlife biology school, is now the full-time information arm of the anti-hunting campaign in Colorado being led by Rebecca Niemec, who left her position with the state on the animal board when her extreme anti-agriculture views were exposed.

Apparently they do public opinion and polling research to support orgs like Animal Wellness Action and CATS/Prop 127. Typically political campaigns pay pollsters to help with messaging and campaign surveys, but here in Colorado our state university provides the anti-hunting orgs with “social science” to build their campaign media and ads.

If I was a sportsperson and a student/alum/booster of Colorado State, I would be pretty upset about this. This is larger than Prop 127 and they aren’t stopping any time soon. Especially with the backing of a major state research university.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back