Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bullets for muzzleloaders

I have had great luck with max load with Fury universal fit in .45 and will be going to the range tomorrow with 320 grn universal for my 50 cal in my knight Disc Extreme. I will let you know. I tried the full bore furry with a sizer but have had mixed results. Lots of tumbling below 110 grn by 209.
Open sights on the disc extreme?

I wouldn't shoot a powerbelt at a cardboard box. But go for it. The more bad experiences people have with muzzleloaders, the easier it is for me to draw muzzleloader tags!
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum talks, but I’ve been doing a good bit of research through them concerning muzzleloader bullets. I think the haters to lovers ratio of the Powerbelts is around 100/3. I use a Traditions Buckstalker and decided to use something other than Sabots this year. I learned that it doesn’t like the powerbelt aerolite. I couldn’t get any accuracy with them at all. The sentiment of not shooting a cardboard box with a Powerbelt seems to be the general consensus I’ve seen on Google and YouTube.

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum talks, but I’ve been doing a good bit of research through them concerning muzzleloader bullets. I think the haters to lovers ratio of the Powerbelts is around 100/3. I use a Traditions Buckstalker and decided to use something other than Sabots this year. I learned that it doesn’t like the powerbelt aerolite. I couldn’t get any accuracy with them at all. The sentiment of not shooting a cardboard box with a Powerbelt seems to be the general consensus I’ve seen on Google and YouTube.
Try thor.

Thanks for the suggestion Nick87. I decided to call Traditions before I bought any more ammo. I was told given a good bit of information. The bottom line though, is due to the barrel sizing, none sabot bullets won’t get much accuracy in the Buckstalker. He recommended the Smackdown Carnivore 250 gr. I wouldn’t expect an employee to recommend anything else. He told me if match that with 100gr. 777. I will get the job done nicely on black bear and deer. He assured me too, that I won’t have loading issues either. I was able to swap a package of Powerbelts for a package of the Carnivores one for one. So why not. I’ll see what happens on my next range day.

Thanks for the suggestion Nick87. I decided to call Traditions before I bought any more ammo. I was told given a good bit of information. The bottom line though, is due to the barrel sizing, none sabot bullets won’t get much accuracy in the Buckstalker. He recommended the Smackdown Carnivore 250 gr. I wouldn’t expect an employee to recommend anything else. He told me if match that with 100gr. 777. I will get the job done nicely on black bear and deer. He assured me too, that I won’t have loading issues either. I was able to swap a package of Powerbelts for a package of the Carnivores one for one. So why not. I’ll see what happens on my next range day.
Thors have a sizing kit to find the perfect fit for your muzzleloader. Find your bore size then order the proper dimension bullet. Have used Thors for 3 years in my Traditions pursuit my bore was .502 diameter. I can ring my 9 inch gong at 150 yards every time. Killed a mule deer at 125 yards last year complete pass through.

Thors have a sizing kit to find the perfect fit for your muzzleloader. Find your bore size then order the proper dimension bullet. Have used Thors for 3 years in my Traditions pursuit my bore was .502 diameter. I can ring my 9 inch gong at 150 yards every time. Killed a mule deer at 125 yards last year complete pass through.
A man can’t argue with sound facts. I’ll give em a try. Wasn’t aware of the sizing kit. I’m thinking you use BH209, right?

A man can’t argue with sound facts. I’ll give em a try. Wasn’t aware of the sizing kit. I’m thinking you use BH209, right?
Nope! I used BH209 for a year and had two failures to fire on animals while hunting including a nice buck I never saw again. They recommend a special breech plug for BH209 but I just went back to what had never failed me in the last decade 777.

After reading this discussion, I'd emphasize the need for much greater penetration on elk than deer. To me that means solid tip. Like @JohnCushman, I've had my best success w cast lead solid tips. My CVA Accura did shoot boresize copperclads accurately, but I never landed one in a game animal.

Last yearI used a 295 Powerbelt over 2x 777 standard pellets for 1550 fps in my CVA Accura last year. I hit the buck in the high shoulder, plowed through a rib on the near side and stopped in the skin on the far side after breaking the shoulder.

The buck took one step and collapsed. The bullet flattened out like a Quarter.

Properly placed, the bullet is a killer. Having said that I’m going with a 300 gr. .452 XTP in a ribbed sabot this year, over 80 gr. of 777 loose powder (*by measured weight) for 1650 fps.

I like exit holes…

Last yearI used a 295 Powerbelt over 2x 777 standard pellets for 1550 fps in my CVA Accura last year. I hit the buck in the high shoulder, plowed through a rib on the near side and stopped in the skin on the far side after breaking the shoulder.

The buck took one step and collapsed. The bullet flattened out like a Quarter.

Properly placed, the bullet is a killer. Having said that I’m going with a 300 gr. .452 XTP in a ribbed sabot this year, over 80 gr. of 777 loose powder (*by measured weight) for 1650 fps.

I like exit holes…
XTP mag may get you an exit hole with the thicker jacket, but the standard XTP will flatten to the size of a half dollar. They do not pass thru on deer.

XTP mag may get you an exit hole with the thicker jacket, but the standard XTP will flatten to the size of a half dollar. They do not pass thru on deer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check my supply and see which XTP's I have.

IMO everyone's wrong--first check with the manufacturer of your gun for suggestions, they will know more than you do about what works for your gun and save a lot of experimentation time (NTTAWWT)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BradenBowhunter148
Back