Bullets for muzzleloaders

XTP mag may get you an exit hole with the thicker jacket, but the standard XTP will flatten to the size of a half dollar. They do not pass thru on deer.
The XTP will absolutely grenade into a thousand little pieces on an elk shoulder too. They do not hold together well

IMO everyone's wrong--first check with the manufacturer of your gun for suggestions, they will know more than you do about what works for your gun and save a lot of experimentation time (NTTAWWT)
Most manufacturers will recommend Their brand of sabot bullets. Not very helpful if you're looking for a non sabot Colorado legal setup. Just like a regular rifle nothing will beat experimentation at the range to find your guns most accurate load.

i own a cva optima and at the range using 2 white hots the bore drivers shot the best group. Tried federal borlok,powerbelt in 245 and 270 grain

The XTP will absolutely grenade into a thousand little pieces on an elk shoulder too. They do not hold together well
Even on deer it will happen. The jacket separates immediately and you will recover it mid lungs. The ball of lead just flattens and makes a mess. I’ve killed 10-15 deer with them and it’s impressive, but I don’t think I ever got an exit.

Most manufacturers will recommend Their brand of sabot bullets. Not very helpful if you're looking for a non sabot Colorado legal setup. Just like a regular rifle nothing will beat experimentation at the range to find your guns most accurate load.
Traditions folks told me theirs and hornady's were the same thing, and suggested Barnes if I wanted non-tox--maybe traditions is more willing to help than others but I've found them great.

I’d like to ask this without sounding like a jerk but not sure how so here goes:

Those of you who use Powerbelts - why?

They ballistically are inferior to about any sabot. And structurally they are inferior to about any full bore.

Is it because a lot of ML come with a starter pack and a bunch of PB adds? If I was back in grad school, I’d do a case study on Powerbelts. They have some marketing geniuses over there.

I’d like to ask this without sounding like a jerk but not sure how so here goes:

They ballistically are inferior to about any sabot. And structurally they are inferior to about any full bore.

Is it because a lot of ML come with a starter pack and a bunch of PB adds? If I was back in grad school, I’d do a case study on Powerbelts. They have some marketing geniuses over there.
Sabot and jacketed bullets are illegal here so Powerbelts are one of the best legal options.

Sabot and jacketed bullets are illegal here so Powerbelts are one of the best legal options.
I wouldn't say best most widely available certainly far from the best IMO.

I don't think many guys enjoy shooting muzzleloaders certainly not like the appreciation rifles receive. Most only break them out once a year during muzzleloader season shoot it a couple times and call it good. I think PB popularity comes down to a few things marketing, availability and people's tolerance of the belief that muzzleloaders are just inherently inaccurate. I completely agree with you though so many better options even if sticking to no sabots.

Until hornady came out with the bore rider. Those were a huge improvement, now the ELDX 340 grain is where it’s at.
What I was trying to explain is that we are not allowed copper jacketed bullets of any kind or sabots. It has to be all lead bullets. The gas check on the powerbelts is legal though.
Yep, there’s a lot of better options out there for sure.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back