MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Brad Molner - Elect The MT Fish and Game Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana Constitution Article 4 Section 8 gives the Governor the power to appoint agency directors and boards/commissions under Section 7. A Constitutional Referendum needs to get 2/3 vote in both Houses to get on the ballot. I don't think this passes with those metrics.

He's also bringing back crossbows.

Joe Munchkin is a total sellout to oil & gas and the drug cartels. Clown could care less about anyone.

Don't know about the MT guy, but he has the same screw you look to me.

I'm sure it is highly unlikely, but I do like that he, an R, is bringing forth a recognition that residents are not being served by this administration or arguably, the system at base as it is configured politically.

It's a case of being careful who you lay down with, IMO. He's a caucus of 1.

Joe Munchkin is a total sellout to oil & gas and the drug cartels. Clown could care less about anyone.

Don't know about the MT guy, but he has the same screw you look to me.
Without Joe Munchkin, we could be enjoying another round of helicopter money spraying down from the heavens and buying stuff that is going up in price faster than the money rains down!! Oh the joy that would have been huh hank?

Without Joe Munchkin, we could be enjoying another round of helicopter money spraying down from the heavens and buying stuff that is going up in price faster than the money rains down!! Oh the joy that would have been huh hank?
So it's OK for them to give welfare for the wealthy. But if you are not it's an entitlement.
Where did the 4.5 trillion go that all of congress voted on under T? The 1st go around.

We got a couple billion sprayed down and most of that is under investigation for fraud by business'.

Munchkin got millions in bribes and he shared the wealth with his family,not working Americans.

I feel so clean ,showered with all those hundreds I got back of MY EFFING TAX DOLLARS.

Anyway back on task. I’m on board with the commission being elected, more importantly the director should be elected. The commission I thought did as good as they could this year with the crap the director threw at them. There are a lot of issues on the table when we vote, wildlife and management should be separate from elected officials like the governor.

Anyway back on task. I’m on board with the commission being elected, more importantly the director should be elected. The commission I thought did as good as they could this year with the crap the director threw at them.

This only puts the gas pedal to the floor in terms of politicizing wildlife management.

Refresh my memory. Are the commissioners there at the whim of the governor or appointed for specific terms? Do they have to be confirmed by the legislature? I would be in favor of them being elected for fixed terms staggered to overlap so there's never an entirely new commission. Oh, and toss that landed aristocrat bullshit that requires 4 of seven to be at least 600 acre landowners. Embarrassing that any American democratic body could approve something so arrogant and totally undemocratic. Something Putin would do. The Founding Fathers would shit themselves.

This only puts the gas pedal to the floor in terms of politicizing wildlife management.
You are much smarter than me so I suspect you are right. Thinking out loud I guess. Just seems like the majority of Montanans could have a say on wildlife management instead of voting for what they feel is best for their family job or state.

Refresh my memory. Are the commissioners there at the whim of the governor or appointed for specific terms? Do they have to be confirmed by the legislature? I would be in favor of them being elected for fixed terms staggered to overlap so there's never an entirely new commission. Oh, and toss that landed aristocrat bullshit that requires 4 of seven to be at least 600 acre landowners. Embarrassing that any American democratic body could approve something so arrogant and totally undemocratic. Something Putin would do. The Founding Fathers would shit themselves.

It's literally in post #2.

The Founding Fathers made sure only white males who owned property could vote, so, yeah.

You are much smarter than me so I suspect you are right. Thinking out loud I guess. Just seems like the majority of Montanans could have a say on wildlife management instead of voting for what they feel is best for their family job or state.

Montanans do have a say on how wildlife management works in their state, moreso than a lot of other states thanks to a few key pieces of constitutional law, and state statute.

1.) Montana's right to participate is super strong, so we have the ability to change course even when we know the deck is stacked against us (re: season setting 6 weeks ago - major victory for the people). That right is always under threat though.
2.) Montana's right to a clean and healthful environment means we have policies and laws that reflect this right, including the Montana Environmental Policy Act (it's been weakened) that provides the opportunity to weight in before actions happen, and change the direction of those activities.
3.) Montana's right to harvest also secures our right in so much that we can lean on that if the right to harvest is reduced by agency or legislative means.
4.) Montana's statutory policy is to benefit the citizens of the state, not wealthy, non-resident landowners.

The appointed Commission system has worked well across the US for about 100 years. One bad Governor doesn't necessarily mean we change long-standing tradition and governance. It means we double our efforts to be engaged and part of the solution.

Farce the Music: Letterkenny Country Reaction Gifs

Montanans do have a say on how wildlife management works in their state, moreso than a lot of other states thanks to a few key pieces of constitutional law, and state statute.

1.) Montana's right to participate is super strong, so we have the ability to change course even when we know the deck is stacked against us (re: season setting 6 weeks ago - major victory for the people). That right is always under threat though.
2.) Montana's right to a clean and healthful environment means we have policies and laws that reflect this right, including the Montana Environmental Policy Act (it's been weakened) that provides the opportunity to weight in before actions happen, and change the direction of those activities.
3.) Montana's right to harvest also secures our right in so much that we can lean on that if the right to harvest is reduced by agency or legislative means.
4.) Montana's statutory policy is to benefit the citizens of the state, not wealthy, non-resident landowners.

The appointed Commission system has worked well across the US for about 100 years. One bad Governor doesn't necessarily mean we change long-standing tradition and governance. It means we double our efforts to be engaged and part of the solution.

In my lifetime I have not seen a change for the better it’s been a downhill slide from the start. We keep fighting to keep things shitty. The system isn’t working.

It's literally in post #2.

The Founding Fathers made sure only white males who owned property could vote, so, yeah.
No, answers are not there. What is the length of their term? Do the appointments have to be confirmed by the legislature?

The states were given the right to determine who votes. It was a concession the Founding Fathers had to make to get the Costitution approved. As I recall any freedman (except Indians) could vote but property requirements varied state to state. Weren't Indians who owned property allowed to vote? I seem to recall many of the wealthy property owning Cherokee that Andrew Jackson expelled to Oklahoma were voters. Having that guy's picture on perhaps the most used US paper currency has always bothered me. What a jerk.

I also have to wonder what would have been the backlash if the commission wouldn’t have gone in and generally “fixed” the directors proposals? There would have been a lot of angry sportsman but that’s about it. Maybe a ballot initiative? Just seems like if the governor would have picked a group of tyrants than Montanans would have been up crap creek without a paddle. I would prefer an elected commission with terms to keep a more diverse group of commissioners in place and keep them from getting “Andrew McKean’d” when the admin turnsover

I am certain that if anyone understands the dynamics of how this would play out and where we should invest our efforts, it is Ben. Perhaps other more hopeful things are in the works. I keep harping on it, and they have seemed kind of quiet, but I really like the idea of and am optimistic about what the MT Citizens Elk Coalition can do.

That said, if we were starting over, I think we would choose that commissioners be elected. I understand how we might start over is a wholly different issue of how to proceed now. It's basically a question of how many baskets do you want your eggs in? 1 or 7? There are states with appointed commissioners that have really gone a direction we don't want to - New Mexico comes to mind. The closer to democracy Montanans are the better it seems - they do what those working within the two financial machines we call political parties don't and reflect a better Montana typically - our initiative process comes to mind, itself under attack.

I have been kind of surprised by the amount of folks I know who are republicans who are pissed about what has been proposed and what has happened. People really active in the party. And yet, they would choose Gianforte all over again if they had to , and certainly will in 2 years. It's a damn conundrum, but somewhere in there may be our best hope and our best allies. Though we have seen some great movement in the sporting community against some of these shit ideas in the last two years, I am concerned about how realistic it is that we can hold fast against future waves. History shows that grandiose claims about political parties don't hold, and the populace tends to swing here and there, but Democrats are so unpopular, and the pool of candidates from which they have to choose outside of a few, are so poisoned, it just seems like the bed we have been laying in is the one we will be for a while. I suppose the answer to that is to quit bellyaching and to get in the fight or get out of the way.

Rambling over - corned beef hangover.

Last edited:
The system isn’t working.
The ever present political and ideological decisions by the Governor and the Legislature are what have been adversely impacting viable and professional wildlife management and hunting regulations and policies in the best interests of wildlife and Montana's valued hunting legacy.

I'm sorry but I see no usefulness at all in the present appointed-at-the-governor's-whim commission setup. If the state had another constitutional convention today (God forbid!) it would not survive. I guess the only reason it survived the last one was because game was so abundant back then no body really cared. And of course all the delegates were political hacks or aspiring political hacks not adverse to keeping some arbitrary appointment stepping stone into politics open for themselves.

Montana is a state where the judiciary is elected but these guys are appointed? I can easily surmise that electing the commissioners for staggered overlapping terms would reduce politicization of the commission. It certainly could not get any worse. Reducing politicization would benefit everyone, including the two political parties. And if the commissioners are elected there is no further need for legislature affirmation. Eliminates that opportunity for more political interference (e.g. Andrew McKean).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back