Bone saw

Why are you guys cutting legs on elk with a saw? Inge rising one for pulling ribs. I’ve been known to make a tomahawk steak or two. I just always pop the legs at the joint myself.

Why are you guys cutting legs on elk with a saw? Inge rising one for pulling ribs. I’ve been known to make a tomahawk steak or two. I just always pop the legs at the joint myself.
I generally like to cut the leg below the knee. Carry the quarter out with bone in and tendon intact so I can hang it in my cooler. Shank meat gets stripped.
The side of my saw with the finer teeth I use for splitting the pelvis, but also cutting the ribs on one side of the breast bone to open up the gut cavity so I can more easily reach things.

Every day reminders.
Now I see my trusty bone saw is considered to be vintage.🙄
Yep, archives indicate previous threads.
Anybody out there recommend a " m odern" version that is as sturdy as the Pac-Saw, but also has fine/ coarse cutting teeth. Flimsy plastic crap won't cut it.View attachment 343101
That thing is gold on ebay.

I have am old Wyoming saw I love.

Reactions: Hem
A few recommendations, but no real explanation why such bonesaw is worth it.
Anyone care to elaborate?
Seriously, curious to hear.

Different use but I worked on backcountry trail crews for 15 years, once we discovered the silky’s they took the place of double bits and lessor folding saws for re-clearing trails in front of the packer. Nothing else remotely close for speed and sharpness. Throw a Big Boy (or larger) and a couple wedges in your pack and you could cut anything a chainsaw could with a fraction of the weight.

The pocket boy, with a fine blade (or extra fine if you can find it) works great as a bone saw. Weighs about 7 oz with the case, folds in 1/2 to next to nothing, and the blade is replaceable.

The big boy lives under the back seat of my truck for any trees on forest service roads and camp firewood.

I generally like to cut the leg below the knee. Carry the quarter out with bone in and tendon intact so I can hang it in my cooler. Shank meat gets stripped.
The side of my saw with the finer teeth I use for splitting the pelvis, but also cutting the ribs on one side of the breast bone to open up the gut cavity so I can more easily reach things.

You can pop the joint and keep the tendon intact. Whatever works for you though.

You can pop the joint and keep the tendon intact. Whatever works for you though.
Deer joint easy. I became annoyed on an elk one time trying to pry it, so began cutting. Now I get two knuckles for the two mutts at home.
Happy dogs=happy wife=happy life.

Deer joint easy. I became annoyed on an elk one time trying to pry it, so began cutting. Now I get two knuckles for the two mutts at home.
Happy dogs=happy wife=happy life.
This thread was enlightening. I'm going to gift my hunting buddy a saw...after 10-15 elk together we've had a lot of heated exchanges around getting the knees off which usually results in me doing them all. I think this will solve that problem lol.

• Haha
Back