Bighorn Mts Road Closures

Chief23

With the start of Elk and Deer season right around the corner. Anyone heading to the Bighorns should be aware of several road closures due to the Elk fire. As of yesterday 14 was closed in both directions from Dayton to Burgess Junction along with several forest service roads. Looks like it may impact Unit 38 the most.

With the start of Elk and Deer season right around the corner. Anyone heading to the Bighorns should be aware of several road closures due to the Elk fire. As of yesterday 14 was closed in both directions from Dayton to Burgess Junction along with several forest service roads. Looks like it may impact Unit 38 the most.
I had a type 9 tag in 38. It was already getting bad on Saturday. I just looked at the fire map. Where I was hunting is burned now. Bad stuff.

I woke up yesterday morning when the email from WYGFD arrived in my inbox informing us of the fire. We are supposed to be leaving Australia in 5 days time! I also drew an Antelope tag down near Cody so whilst I probably meet the requirements to get the elk tag deferred or refunded, I would be throwing my antelope tag in the bin. I will make a call in a couple more days I think. Devastated.

I woke up yesterday morning when the email from WYGFD arrived in my inbox informing us of the fire. We are supposed to be leaving Australia in 5 days time! I also drew an Antelope tag down near Cody so whilst I probably meet the requirements to get the elk tag deferred or refunded, I would be throwing my antelope tag in the bin. I will make a call in a couple more days I think. Devastated.
Oh man, sorry to hear that!

I really feel for you guys. I had a Type 1 tag in 38 last year and pretty much got snowed out after the first day. Hopefully things will make a turn for the better. I really hope they open 14 in the near future as I have a deer and elk tag on the western side of the bighorns

Yeah I was planning on pulling my 38 type 9 next year after helping a buddy with his tag this year. Been waiting 14 years to do this hunt. Looks like i will be doing research for another unit. Not going to wait 4 more years. Bummer for the guys with type 1s this year. Sorry for the bad luck.

We were in 37 just south of 14 hunting cow elk. We pulled the plug after 2 days of hunting and are on the way home. That fire is a monster and there is no end in sight. Appears that it has crossed the highway and will continue into 37. Yesterday we actually had a spot fire within a half mile of where were hunting. When you see flames 400 feet in the air when the fire tops the ridge pushed by high winds only a few miles away, time to leave. Just glad it was a reduced price tag with no points consumed.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhow1997
Back