Caribou Gear

Big ol Burban?

Not much going on this week, mainly recovering from hosting a house party last weekend. Set the core support back on the frame and started the process of figuring out the radiator.

Amid the myriad of foreign options, I elected to go with an American made Entropy LSX conversion aluminum radiator. It is hand built in Chicago to my application. I chose them because the lifetime warranty and the trans cooler is a plate style vs a single tube that runs inside the radiator side tank. The 2800 stall converter in the 6l80e needs all the cooling it can get if we tow with it. So with that and the additional factory cooler, we should be easily be able to keep it cool pulling the camper out west.

Next on the list is getting parts ordered to replace time aged parts. Like the front seats. I ordered new covers and foam for both front seats. The Labor Day sale saved me about 250 bucks. I’m not looking forward to this part of the project.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 14
Here is this weeks update. The engine accessories are done, it almost ready for fenders! I need to get them installed to finish routing hoses. Just a few minor preventative heat shields to tape up. Route a vacuum line and tidy up some wiring. Oh and I did a thing, promo code Randy didn’t work. But a great Ebay price and the current $100 rebate made it $462! That is cheaper than harbor freight. Anyone wanting one can get one this weekend yet for that same price on eBay thru trendsauto.

View attachment 338644View attachment 338645
that is one busy engine compartment

Well crap! Friend wanted to buy my old rims and tires for her farm truck. I decided to take them off last night and test fit those dodge rims. Even though they look identical, the backspacing is different, and they don’t fit. The rear tire rubs the leaf springs.

I can sell them easily and go on the hunt for different rims but I liked the idea of keeping it stock looking. Keeping the stock Chevy rims isn’t a good option as one of them is slightly bent.

Now I’m down the rabbit hole of wheel spacers. Figuring out if it’s even worth it for the headache.

Bummer. Would spacers improve your capabilities to chain up, or no impact? Wondering if that might be a factor that could help you with the decision.

Well crap! Friend wanted to buy my old rims and tires for her farm truck. I decided to take them off last night and test fit those dodge rims. Even though they look identical, the backspacing is different, and they don’t fit. The rear tire rubs the leaf springs.

I can sell them easily and go on the hunt for different rims but I liked the idea of keeping it stock looking. Keeping the stock Chevy rims isn’t a good option as one of them is slightly bent.

Now I’m down the rabbit hole of wheel spacers. Figuring out if it’s even worth it for the headache.
Wheel spacers are nothing but trouble. Strongly advise against them. Worth it to pony up for wheels that fit properly.

Bummer. Would spacers improve your capabilities to chain up, or no impact? Wondering if that might be a factor that could help you with the decision.
Hadn’t thought about that. The difference in backspacing is 14mm. So even with the stock rims I don’t think the chains I have would work. With the stock 245/75R16 they probably would but not with the 265’s or 33/10.50s.

Wheel spacers are nothing but trouble. Strongly advise against them. Worth it to pony up for wheels that fit properly.
I am going to monkey with it tonight to see how much backspace it will need added. I’m not liking the idea of them.

However, would seem any of the stock wheels with the bigger tires won’t clear chains so…

Front ends are the obvious. They stress wheel bearings front and rear. We've even seen them bend rear differential housings on more than one occasion.
These OBS trucks have a narrow rear end. It’s a 14b FF but it was designed to be narrow. It doesn’t track the same as the front which is wider.

The rims and tires seemed to fit the front without interference. I don’t have the fenders on yet so I will need that before I know clearance for sure.

I am betting that it will need a 1.5” in the rear to clear chains from the springs. Looking at the wheel wells it could accommodate it. I would like less than an inch so I could just run extended studs.

If I only need them on the rear it seems feasible. Front and rear are a not the answer.

Well, anyone need some great tires and dodge rims? It takes 3/4” to clear the springs. So at a minimum I would have to run 1 1/2” spacers and I still don’t know if chains would clear. It would be too close to try. The cost of steel spacers is ridiculous, let alone the shipping. It would be half the cost of a new set of tires. Back to the drawing board.

Well, anyone need some great tires and dodge rims? It takes 3/4” to clear the springs. So at a minimum I would have to run 1 1/2” spacers and I still don’t know if chains would clear. It would be too close to try. The cost of steel spacers is ridiculous, let alone the shipping. It would be half the cost of a new set of tires. Back to the drawing board.
I don’t know how far you want to go down this path but it wouldn’t hurt to check around for a 1 ton G van diff. Those are a few inches wider. You’d introduce potential gear ratio and pinion flange differences and such. Spring perches are easy to move but you’d probably end up rebuilding it just to know what you had.

I don’t know how far you want to go down this path but it wouldn’t hurt to check around for a 1 ton G van diff. Those are a few inches wider. You’d introduce potential gear ratio and pinion flange differences and such. Spring perches are easy to move but you’d probably end up rebuilding it just to know what you had.
I think I will just buy a set of 285’s and call it good enough. Try and find a replacement for the one that is bent and run it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back