Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Because Dad did!

Heavy wool hunting clothes; especially a checkered woolruch coat. I still wear the wool pants on occasion but I haven’t hunted in a wool coat in close to 20 years

My dad doesn't hunt much anymore but growing up I watched him skin deer with an Old Timer Sharpfinger. When I was old enough to get a hunting knife I asked for one for Christmas and I skinned my first buck with it. I realize now there are far better knives in the hunting world but at that time I wanted the same one my dad had. I've still got it and will never part with it. Mine was a quality American made one. They switched to a cheaper version made overseas but I was happy to find out this week they are being made in the USA again. IMG_5518.jpeg

Dad, what a great guy. Friend to all unless you crossed him. Big Smile, devoted husband, Black coffee all day. I only know of him going hunting once. He loved to fish on the bay. Loved family trips and vacations.
Dad drove Tractor Trailers in the Army, so that what I did over seas. He was never one to back down from a challenge. He was my inspiration and guide for life.
He had more friends than anyone I've ever met. Our state Senitor would be sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee many a weekend. Just chatting.
I started hunting on my own at 15 and dad would drop me off a a friend's farm and pick me up later 40 minute drive.
I could go on and on he tought me how to pick people of good character and the rules for respect. Always work for what you want.
Dad pasted in 2018. Not a day passes I don't miss him.
Love ya dad.

Pre 64 Winchester Model 12's and Marlin 336's, Model A's, Marlboro Red (cowboy killers), cheap beer (the cheaper the better) Falstaff long neck returnable in the cardboard case (less than 3 dollars a case)

cor lokt, buck knives, Boston Red Sox, Tabasco Sauce, Copenhagen (we both since quit), Mitchell spinning reels (old ones), and lots more. I strive to be half the man my father is.

because of Dad...
  • GMC Trucks (going back 3 generations)
  • John Deere Tractors (3 generations)
  • Public /community service (Volunteer Fire Dept, Farm Bureau, Industry Advocate)
  • Public Speaking
  • There's a number of Pre '64 Winchesters, and Model 12's that I'll be the 3rd generation to possess
  • Jim Palm Saddles
  • Male Pattern Baldness
  • Mizuno Baseball gloves
  • Button down collar shirts
  • His Childhood home (my grandparent's house)
  • Appreciation for Land Grant Colleges

Funny I opened this thread and read the OP. I've thought long and hard about it. There's literally not one thing I use because my dad did/does. His influence on me wasn't material obviously :)

Regardless, I'll be 63 in a couple weeks, my dad is 95, and we have a great relationship. Hard to ask for more.

Kind of at a weird, frustrating point of my relationship with my dad. Try thinking about it and it kind of gets me irritated.

Hoping it passes quickly and I can enjoy him for what he is/was vs what I wanted him to be.

Anyways, not that anyone asked about that sh*t.

- wool pants
- large frame revolvers
- still-hunting
- wall tents and wood stoves

Back