Ban saw or slicer?

cgasner1

I want something electric to help cut the pile of meat I have headed my way. Does anyone know of a slicer that will do a 1” cut or do I have to go with a ban saw style set up

The thought of thoroughly cleaning a band saw does not sound like much fun. I have had metal bandsaws both stationary and handheld, and the cutting oil gets up and into everything. Making a mess of shaving and oil. I assume blood, meat, and bone would get up into everything also. Unless there is something special about butchering bandsaws. As long as everything is deboned a long quality knife might be a better option.

Ebay has some commercial meat cutting bandsaws for a variety of prices. More power means more money but it's a place to get an idea of what's out there.

IMO, band saw is really only needed if you’re doing bone-in cuts. Otherwise you’re better off with a really high quality knife set for boning and then slicing. The only place a slicer would be beneficial for me would be shaving a corned or pastrami roast super thin for Reuben sandwiches. But really good and sharp knives can get me pretty darn close to what a slicer can do.

Last edited:
I would think frozen meat through a bandsaw would work pretty slick. Don't know from experience though.
Same here. If a butcher shop can get nice consistent cuts we should be able to do it! Any volume to cut would make it nicer than a knife. Sure, you would have to clean it but that's all part of processing. Freeze your big chunks, cut while frozen and package before they thaw.

I would think frozen meat through a bandsaw would work pretty slick. Don't know from experience though.
If you ever watch bearded butchers YouTube stuff, the only time they ever use a band saw is when cutting bone-in meat such ribs, t-bones, ossobuco, etc. If they are cutting loins or roasts, it’s always with a good quality knife.

If you ever watch bearded butchers YouTube stuff, the only time they ever use a band saw is when cutting bone-in meat such ribs, t-bones, ossobuco, etc. If they are cutting loins or roasts, it’s always with a good quality knife.
I don’t watch YouTube. I’d assume he is not processing a couple elk a year. I got a moose this year to cut up and haven’t started elk hunting yet. Cutting a loin or roast up for a you tube video isn’t quite the same as 400# of meat I have sitting here

But the stuff they are cutting isn’t frozen.

I use to cut all my muscle groups up and put a slight freeze on them and run it thru the slicer worked great. Steaks are just to thin

I don’t watch YouTube. I’d assume he is not processing a couple elk a year. I got a moose this year to cut up and haven’t started elk hunting yet. Cutting a loin or roast up for a you tube video isn’t quite the same as 400# of meat I have sitting here
I would ask your local processors. If they will do it at the end of the day before clean up. It may cost you a few extra hundred but it will be cheaper than a saw.

I had a harbor freight one, it did the job but was a PAI and the grinder portion was useless. But if you want cheap and then sell that would get you by.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggo766
Back