Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ban saw or slicer?

cgasner1

I want something electric to help cut the pile of meat I have headed my way. Does anyone know of a slicer that will do a 1” cut or do I have to go with a ban saw style set up

The thought of thoroughly cleaning a band saw does not sound like much fun. I have had metal bandsaws both stationary and handheld, and the cutting oil gets up and into everything. Making a mess of shaving and oil. I assume blood, meat, and bone would get up into everything also. Unless there is something special about butchering bandsaws. As long as everything is deboned a long quality knife might be a better option.

Ebay has some commercial meat cutting bandsaws for a variety of prices. More power means more money but it's a place to get an idea of what's out there.

IMO, band saw is really only needed if you’re doing bone-in cuts. Otherwise you’re better off with a really high quality knife set for boning and then slicing. The only place a slicer would be beneficial for me would be shaving a corned or pastrami roast super thin for Reuben sandwiches. But really good and sharp knives can get me pretty darn close to what a slicer can do.

Last edited:
I would think frozen meat through a bandsaw would work pretty slick. Don't know from experience though.
Same here. If a butcher shop can get nice consistent cuts we should be able to do it! Any volume to cut would make it nicer than a knife. Sure, you would have to clean it but that's all part of processing. Freeze your big chunks, cut while frozen and package before they thaw.

I would think frozen meat through a bandsaw would work pretty slick. Don't know from experience though.
If you ever watch bearded butchers YouTube stuff, the only time they ever use a band saw is when cutting bone-in meat such ribs, t-bones, ossobuco, etc. If they are cutting loins or roasts, it’s always with a good quality knife.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back