NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Backpack hunting gear for kids

Just re-read this thread after getting back from my last outing with my son. Took him to our usual opening day spot that we hunted last year for archery as well. No luck as far as bucks go, just saw a nice one being packed out. Good for that guy, its not easy.

So far the same setup has worked for my boy except the osprey pack has one glaring flaw - the waist belt cannot go any tighter. My 6yo kids 4' tall, weighs 46lbs and is well within the recommended age/height/weight range. Hes skinny with broad shoulders and an average waist. Last year with basically no weight in the pack he was fine. This year on the way in I loaded up 13lbs to see what he could do - a hair over 25% of his body weight. It was all his gear and food. His shoulders bore most of the weight and he only carried it 1 out of 2 miles. Once we dropped camp and were at hunting weights he carried his pack no problem.

On the way home I took more of his gear and he carried his own pack the 2 miles downhill to the truck. At home I weighed his pack and it was 8lbs. Pretty good for his weight but the waist strap needs help.

For sleeping we have been using an amazon'd floored tent, nothing special but works great. He wants to try the floorless tipi now though so during rifle season Ill bring that and the wood stove. Considering my giant 13' diameter tipi and ti stove weigh the same as the cheap amazon floored tent, Im happy to bring it and have more room.

The last few mentions - forgot to bring a little blanket and it would have been nice for sitting around at the hunting spot. Wind was blowing, it was cold. Glad my wife bought him a mid weight fleece lined puffy jacket.

IMG_7261.jpeg

I had plans to take my now 8 year old on our longest multi night backpack trip today this year in the Indian peaks with permits secured and everything. But after drawing a goat tag I decided we better do that trip in the goat unit and look for goats.

When the week arrived the weather forecast was calling for a fair bit of rain and I pivoted to thinking we could backpack some and truck camp some and check out more spots. Wish I had stuck to the backpacking only plan as the weather proved pretty decent. We didn’t get the epic backpacking trip I had planned but we did do a 9mile day which is the most my son has hiked in a day to date and he was in good spirits for basically all but the last mile. It was also the first time we didn’t take a zillion breaks - we had packed in 3 miles the night before. Woke up and did 3 miles to a glassing vantage. Then 3 miles back to camp and then 3 miles back to the truck - with no stops during any of those 3 miles stretches. That’s highly atypical as it’s usually a snack break every 15min! I think the presence of mosquitos may have helped.

IMG_9132.jpeg

Also got my 4 year old daughter out for her first night of backpacking this year as well. She is a solid hiker already.

IMG_9238.jpegIMG_9233.jpeg

Nice @Deckerp There will be more chances for backpacking with the kids, but thats great you got your 4yo out. Best of luck with your goat tag!!

Planning on a 3 day rifle opener backpacking trip with my kid, wish we had more time. A canoe ride across a lake to a hidden access point, then a hike to a "goat path" up a ridge, follow that ridge to the main ridge which connects three basins with hidden meadows to the mtn top. Wish it was for goats, but we will be on a poor man's sheep hunt (bear too). It's to a favorite spot of mine where Ive seen some really big bucks (for otc CA).

Nice @Deckerp There will be more chances for backpacking with the kids, but thats great you got your 4yo out. Best of luck with your goat tag!!

Planning on a 3 day rifle opener backpacking trip with my kid, wish we had more time. A canoe ride across a lake to a hidden access point, then a hike to a "goat path" up a ridge, follow that ridge to the main ridge which connects three basins with hidden meadows to the mtn top. Wish it was for goats, but we will be on a poor man's sheep hunt (bear too). It's to a favorite spot of mine where Ive seen some really big bucks (for otc CA).
That sounds wonderful!

My son is twelve and he just moved up out of the kid sized shoes to adult shoes. Only problem is his feet are fairly narrow. The clerk at REI suggested a women’s boot as we could get them narrower. They’re working good until his feet fill out a bit more.

Back