Advertisement

Are these bullets tumbling?

FairWeather

Took my Rossi single shot 243 to the range today. This rifle has given me nothing but trouble, and I’ve never been able to get a good zero on it. I slapped a scope from one of my other rifles on it (since I know this one isn’t faulty), to try to eliminate that aspect.

Anyway, went to zero it and upon inspecting my target I noticed the holes are pretty wonky. It’s got me wondering if the bullets are tumbling, and that’s why I can’t get any kind of consistency from this thing.

If it is, it is just a matter of bullet weight/load? These were 95gr Hornady SST super performance factory loads.

Attachments

• IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
I had bought a Rossi R243 for my wife.
I had gotten a good deal on several boxes of 105gr Hornady Match bullets.
I called tech line for Hornady.
Tech told me that "no, they will not stabilize with a 1:10 twist".

Figured I'd load them up and at least it would be time behind the trigger.
Over a charge of RL26, bullets shot just fine out to about 500 yards.

Work on finding your powder charge.
You still have a huge vertical.
I'd also say that, no. They are not tumbling. Notice the hole on the left is a perfectly round hole.
If your target isn't flat, and a little taunt, then SSTs will make holes like that. It's tearing the paper.

I had bought a Rossi R243 for my wife.
I had gotten a good deal on several boxes of 105gr Hornady Match bullets.
I called tech line for Hornady.
Tech told me that "no, they will not stabilize with a 1:10 twist".

Figured I'd load them up and at least it would be time behind the trigger.
Over a charge of RL26, bullets shot just fine out to about 500 yards.

Work on finding your powder charge.
You still have a huge vertical.
I'd also say that, no. They are not tumbling. Notice the hole on the left is a perfectly round hole.
If your target isn't flat, and a little taunt, then SSTs will make holes like that. It's tearing the paper.
It’s generally accepted that 1:10 should be below 95, but obviously heavier projectiles can and do work, sometimes. The bullets might not be tumbling, but they could be very unstable. A 1:10, with a heavy and long projectile, and short barrel might not be getting enough velocity to make that marginal twist rate work with that specific bullet. I do agree that the target needs a good backer to be sure what we’re seeing, but 95s in a 1:10 is borderline enough to consider it a big potential contributing factor.

Sell it. Go buy a Ruger 77. Perfect rifle for sliding around in the Western Oregon rain forest, stumbling through alder flats and getting caught in a devils club swamp. There is a reason you’ll see more Rugers than any other brand being toted around by old Alaska guides.
Good luck this year.

Sell it. Go buy a Ruger 77. Perfect rifle for sliding around in the Western Oregon rain forest, stumbling through alder flats and getting caught in a devils club swamp. There is a reason you’ll see more Rugers than any other brand being toted around by old Alaska guides.
Good luck this year.
Thanks! Luckily I’m not leaning on this one to be a big game rifle, as I have others for that. The real saving grace is that it’s a Rossi trifecta, so it has a 20ga & 22lr barrel that interchange as well. Those two work just fine, hold zero, pattern well, etc. It’s just the 243 barrel that gives me trouble.

It’s still worth keeping for using the other 2, though. Especially the 20ga. With that barrel on, it still weighs less than 5lbs; excellent for taking out walking logging roads in search of grouse & quail.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back