Advertisement

Are Badgers Mean?

JoseCuervo

The last couple of days, there has been a badger hanging out in the Trailer Park. Never had one near here before.

I know they can be mean when they are in their holes, and defend them furiously, but, when caught out in the open, is their natural instinct to fight or to flee?

Do I need to watch out for the dog?

(I do like watching him walk away, he always seems irritated that he has to leave whatever he was previously doing...)

A neighbor of mine and her dog were mauled by a badger a year or so ago when she was out jogging. However, if I recall correctly the dog was harassing it and they were between the badger and it's den.

On the other hand, I had an experience pheasant hunting where I came across a badger on the trail. It hissed at me so I racked in a load; apparently it knew what that meant because it turned tail and ran off.

They are mean if you talk to them about insurance, guns,etc:)

Seen em both ways... Usually run from people but have seen them try to kill a couple dogs both times with the dogs were in the open when they couldnt get to a hole quick. Only mean one toward people I saw was hit by a car and wanted in his hole real bad

Call him stupid, ignorant or dumb ass and see what happens.

If your dog gets too close it could be bad, years ago I had a dog get hurt bad enough that he had to be put down after fighting with a badger. Even the aggressive badgers I've been around are usually okay as long as you give in and let them have the space they want.

Jose, don't listen to all that mean badger talk. Just come in from the side, and talk to him in a soothing voice until he gets used to your touch. My boys played around with this one half the nite and nobody got bit. Be brave.

Attachments

• IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,651
Now I don't know what to think. Bert is pretty badass, he even has a police record from Logan, UT...

Attachments

• Bert Jail Picture.jpg
    Bert Jail Picture.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 2,717
I think the best way to find their personalities is to gently rub their head behind both ears at the same time and then give them a big "doggie smooch" right on top their nose. Please let us know how friendly your little critter is.

I took one with my bow last year and he chewed through 2 of my best Gold Tip Pro's as he expired. Mean? Tough, yes.

There used to be an expression describing a tough, tenacious fighter as being "like a badger in a barrel".

Just bend down and tell him " little fellar no worries I too am for Ranching for Wildlife" and all will be well.:D

I've only seen 2 and they were both digging like they had gold in the hole. Dirt was flying high. good luck.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olivefwp
Back