Caribou Gear

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

You going to buy some leap put options? Sounds like a slam dunk. I’m looking for some investment advice from the pros.

And yeah 20% YTD returns in the S&P index is also nice but I’m still more interested in seeing basic costs come back to reality. The extra 1,100$/month for groceries/gas/electricity is cutting into my hunting funds.View attachment 340945
Do you have the link for that map/chart?

You going to buy some leap put options? Sounds like a slam dunk. I’m looking for some investment advice from the pros.

And yeah 20% YTD returns in the S&P index is also nice but I’m still more interested in seeing basic costs come back to reality. The extra 1,100$/month for groceries/gas/electricity is cutting into my hunting funds.View attachment 340945
Montana Median income is up about 23%. If people want costs to actually come down (deflation), they need to be willing to take a cut in pay. This chart puts costs in a long-term perspective.

Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 9.24.39 AM.png

Montana Median income is up about 23%. If people want costs to actually come down (deflation), they need to be willing to take a cut in pay. This chart puts costs in a long-term perspective.

View attachment 340969
Maybe bacon and milk are just a small % of the increased monthly spend for most Americans. The wage increase stat is interesting but when I look into it seems like depending on the timing (post/pre pandemic) there is a lot of ways the data can be spun. I don't have the time to really dig into it but my gut says the wage increases are related to post pandemic pent-up demand and worker/supply chain shortages.

I'm not pointing political blame one way or another. The pandemic muddied stuff up....the fact is I'm spending a lot more on food, energy and gas then I was not too long ago. I had a job throughout the pandemic and saw a modest 3-5% wage increase YoY which outside of a big promotion is in-line with what I've experienced the last 10 years of working professionally. A lot of people moved around and negotiated higher paying remote work during the pandemic but there was also a lot of layoffs in the tech industry.

I can't personally make sense of the higher wages but I'm sure it's legit.
1726860856632.png

The pandemic led to increased wages across the country. Some states raised minimum wages in there too. The pandemic allowed people to work from home (which saves some HUGE dollars) and opened up employees eyes about mortality and other job options--and accelerated the pace of retirement in older folks who were already retiring in larger numbers--simple artificat of all the baby boomers reaching retirement age. The pandemic sent many to decide they'd had enough and retire.

So the aftermath--fewer people for the same number of jobs. Wages had to increase to get people interested in taking many jobs. Heck unions are making a big comeback!

I've seen this in one of my kids that didn't go to college had kids early and were struggling a bit--better jobs with a lot better pay. They are doing OK now--despite the higher costs of some things.

Of course for people that won't leave low paying jobs or have little ability to find one that pays more it sucks--but otherwise SAJ-99 is right to suggest you have to look at the WHOLE picture. Also, higher wages themselves have no small effect on inflation...all linked...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulcedom
Back