7mm-08 140 TGK COAL?

Chasing the lands is a waste of time. I’ve never had to play with seating depth to get the velocity I want and accuracy.

COAL measurement is fine. BTO is cool and all, but not needed. It’s importance is grossly overrated.
The only people that I have heard say that are benchrest and F Class shooters.
With the specialty bullets that they shoot, the load to 0.010-0.060" "into the lands".
Let's face facts, while they may be setting their COAL to that, when they chamber a round it's at the lands. Your not going to force a bullet into the rifling. It will overcome the neck tension.

While you can find acceptable accuracy at SAAMI lengths, as was stated you can find better accuracy by adjusting seating depth.
1-1.5" at 100 yards for a 3 shot group, may well turn into 0.75" or less.

You can once again adjust your group sizes by tuning the torque of your action screws.

The only people that I have heard say that are benchrest and F Class shooters.
With the specialty bullets that they shoot, the load to 0.010-0.060" "into the lands".
Let's face facts, while they may be setting their COAL to that, when they chamber a round it's at the lands. Your not going to force a bullet into the rifling. It will overcome the neck tension.

While you can find acceptable accuracy at SAAMI lengths, as was stated you can find better accuracy by adjusting seating depth.
1-1.5" at 100 yards for a 3 shot group, may well turn into 0.75" or less.

You can once again adjust your group sizes by tuning the torque of your action screws.
If my groups were ever that large, I would change powders. Never seen a reason to adjust seating depth to get less than moa, ever.

Sounds like y’all are having fun with it though.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back