.308 win bullet selection for new reloader

I have seen 165 AccuBonds work very well for elk in a 308. I have tried a lot of different bullets on elk, and can not find anything that works better (or as well) as the AB. Monometal bullets work very well - if there is sufficient impact velocity. The softer bullets usually work well, but sometimes they don't. The safe bet is the AB.

Monos can be a bit finicky, even for those of us that have loaded for a while. I'd tinker with NBTs or, my personal favorite for deer-sized game, Hornady SSTs in order to get a bit of experience under my belt were I in your shoes.

From my experience, 44.0grains of Varget under any 150 or 165 grain lead-core bullet is the easy button for the .308.
Thanks! That's what I'm looking for, the easy button 😂. A friend off the forum also suggested the SSTs. I did have a box of superformance with SSTs that shot well in this rifle too. And I do have Varget, so I think I'll plan to start with something like this.

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for, the easy button 😂. A friend off the forum also suggested the SSTs. I did have a box of superformance with SSTs that shot well in this rifle too. And I do have Varget, so I think I'll plan to start with something like this.
Big game gave me good accuracy and velocity but had temp issues. Varget works well and is consistent but slower in the 308. I would suggest investing in a chronograph to know what your loading to.

I’ll throw out another vote for the 130 grain ttsx’s, they have been the most effective Barnes I’ve seen on game in any of the cartridges I’ve shot them in (except maybe the 120’s in 7-08). Probably not your bullet if you want to stretch it out though

I know the eldm’s and eldx’s are pretty popular (especially on the RS) but no rifle I’ve tried them in has produced anything special. Had good luck with good old interlocks and sst’s though

Barnes 150 gr. TSX and IMR 4064 is my go to load in my Tikka 308 win. No problem with proper bullet expansion on elk out to 400 yards+ if your rifle will allow you to load in the mid to upper levels of recommended powder charges.

My Tikka really likes 150 grain Accubonds with Varget, but the deer don’t.
I’ve never had a problem with Accubonds, hunting whitetails.
Im in the process of developing a load with the 130 ttsx and Varget, but I’m not there yet and it’s taking a lot more effort to find an accurate load than anticipated.
I’m good this year with the Accubonds, but New Yorkistan may go non-lead on state land so I must be ready if that happens.

I use SSTs for range use.
About half the price of Ballistic Tips and they fly about the same.
I can consistently get smaller groups with the Ballistic Tips though.

Friend hunts with the SST.
While they work, they do more damage closer to the entrance than the Ballistic Tip.
The Ballistic Tip seems to do more damage in the vitals.
And I always get a pass through.

My go to bullets for hunting are the Ballistic Tip and the Berger VLD.

The VLD are slightly more accurate than the Ballistic Tip, more so as the distance increases.
I don't get pass through with the VLD.
But you have to see to believe the amount of internal damage they do!

Hey guys. I'm a novice reloader, just getting into it. My model 70 .308 has been shooting factory 165gr Nosler BTs well. I plan to start reloading the Nosler brass once I use up a bit more of the factory rounds. I'd like to pick a more solid bullet, either a bonded or mono. Looking for suggestions for bullets that will be tough enough for anything up to elk, and forgiving to use for a rookie reloader.
I’ll bet the 137 hammer hunter or 138 hht over tac would be pretty darn good if you want a mono.

Lighter for monos as they require more velocity to perform decently.
165 Speer hotcor is accurate and deadly.

Shot a couple mule deer bucks with 225 ELDM's, nothing but soup left in the cavity. Dead right there. Accuracy is final.

For the OP, find a bullet that you think will work and is readily available. I shoot mono's by requirement. I have seen a lot of blood shot meat from over speed bullets that don't stay together. Personally I want to retain as much good meat as possible. I'm a meat hunter and not too interested in the trophy value. All that aside, a 150-165-168-175gr. bullet is going to work if you do your part.

For the OP, find a bullet that you think will work and is readily available. I shoot mono's by requirement. I have seen a lot of blood shot meat from over speed bullets that don't stay together. Personally I want to retain as much good meat as possible. I'm a meat hunter and not too interested in the trophy value. All that aside, a 150-165-168-175gr. bullet is going to work if you do your part.
Yeah, I've destroyed shoulders before with standard bullets... Would like to do monos, but have read they are a little more finicky to reload. I'll probably start with accubonds or stick with the BTs until I get more practice.

Yeah, I've destroyed shoulders before with standard bullets... Would like to do monos, but have read they are a little more finicky to reload. I'll probably start with accubonds or stick with the BTs until I get more practice.
I'll probably take heat for this but start out with what you want to end up with. Loading monos isn't much different than others. Start out by trying to clone a factory load, with your bullet of choice, to use as a baseline load. After you get the groups and speed right for the bullet you can work your way up to tighter groups if you think necessary. Remember that your target is about 8" and not a 1/2" group.

Those 165 BTs are a good place to start for 308s. They are actually pretty stout in construction but still should make nice wound channels. Unless a guy wanted more BC for longer shots, they are a pretty dang attractive hunting pill imo.
It’s pretty likely that 165 BTs and Varget is going to be my go to load for my .308 this fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DtechStore
Back