Advertisement

30% mortality

I know in Yellowstone they had multiple releases over a few years but they held them in acclimating pens then opened the gate. Colorado basically dumped them out in the mountains. It's gotta be pretty stressful. I remember biologists trying to repopulate wolves on Ilse Royal because the wolves were so inbred and when they did, the lake froze and the reintroduced wolves left.... pretty funny

I was curious myself about the Yellowstone mortality and found this in a different article:
"In Idaho, 30 of the 35 animals survived through the second year of reintroductions. In Yellowstone, 22 of the 31 animals survived through the second year of reintroductions," the plan reads. "Causes of mortality included interspecific conflict, illegally shot, wolf control action, struck by vehicle. Idaho had 85 percent survival and Yellowstone releases had 70 percent survival."
https://www.denver7.com/news/local-...e, 22 of the,releases had 70 percent survival.

So batting right around that 30% mortality as well. It ain't easy being a woof.

Also interesting - one of the CO wolves was presumed killed by a lion, so maybe CO voters should reconsider their priorities. Ban cat hunting vs. save the wolves..? ⚖️
End of snarky comment.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWHauss
Back