270 Weatherby, yea or neigh?

Why ask the question when you know the majority of us will say go for it and find room in the safe later? I've never shot a .270 Wby, but I like my .257 Mark V. You'll need to search for deals on ammo or brass, but it's far from the most obscure option.

And yes to your question - forkies beware!

Never been a big fan of Weatherby. But, the .257 is really, really interesting. mtmuley
Weatherby rifles or calibers?

Theres something majestic about a japanese wood stock mark V and something cool about one made in sheridan. Just not a lot to like except the rpms as far as cases and designs.

The 257 above is a 700. I’ve owned 3 wby rifles and found them to be accuracy finicky, but in all fairness that was before I loaded, and before my compulsion for precision really kicked in to overdrive.

Weatherby rifles or calibers?

Theres something majestic about a japanese wood stock mark V and something cool about one made in sheridan. Just not a lot to like except the rpms as far as cases and designs.
Nah. If I had one it would be like harley's. mtmuley

The 257 above is a 700. I’ve owned 3 wby rifles and found them to be accuracy finicky, but in all fairness that was before I loaded, and before my compulsion for precision really kicked in to overdrive.
My Weatherbys definitely know what they like and don’t like anything else. But fill ‘em with premium and they go

Last edited:
Somehow I ended up with a Accumark in 270 wby and a Deluxe in 300 wby during the magnum craze. Both way more rifle than I need for South Eastern whitetails.
They don't get any use as I prefer my 7mm08 for whitetail. If I really knew what I was doing when I bought those rifles I would have and should have bought a 257 wby.

I have a 257 that shoots just about anything I feed it Sub MOA. Just give it a max Load with max COL and everything I have tried is sub MOA.

I am in a toss up between the 270 WM and a new 280 AI. I will probably end up with new Weatherby backcountry 280AI. My 257, with Barnes 115 took my biggest bull in Wyoming (344). However it is now my go to deer and below rifle. I am trying to get bigger rifle for elk. Long term…they are all for my son. He calls my 257 his gun already.

I am in a toss up between the 270 WM and a new 280 AI. I will probably end up with new Weatherby backcountry 280AI. My 257, with Barnes 115 took my biggest bull in Wyoming (344). However it is now my go to deer and below rifle. I am trying to get bigger rifle for elk. Long term…they are all for my son. He calls my 257 his gun already.
What twist in the 25?

Always was a Model 70 guy, But bought a few Tikkas few years back. Then decided to try a Weatherby Vanguard...now own 3 of them. Outrageous value. Can't beat them for value for money spent.....
E

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back