Yeti GOBOX Collection

2024 WY pronghorn, deer, and R elk draw

The only unit I’ve hunted I drew three years in a row with zero. I’d call it an okay hunt but not great. Lots of people and tons of crummy road hunting behavior. It got worse each year. That spot takes 3 points now

Three in for the special but not feeling very good about the odds at this point. Should have went the other way as well. Just trying to dump points.

There is no way this thread represents the broader applicant pool. Gaming applicant behavior over the next two seasons will be fun.

There is no way this thread represents the broader applicant pool. Gaming applicant behavior over the next two seasons will be fun.
I tend to agree somewhat. But with the average age of hunters most have more money than time, so higher fees become worth it.

Trying to guess what people will do regarding hunting applications is anyone's guess. Too many factors, application services, influencers, etc. make it hard to predict.

Even a bad winter, dry summers, a rare big animal killed in a unit, fires, and a host of other things can swing odds one way or another.

Another special pronghorn applicant here. For me and my son. I applied in a unit that took 6 points to draw last year and I have 3 points and he has 4 points.

I’m hoping that at least we end up with a chance in the random side of it. Based on the special elk draw it seemed that for the most part folks weren’t applying in the special unless they thought they had the points so the random side of things had the most change in drawing odds.

I thought about trying the special, but decided to stay with the regular. Unit I applied for was 100% with my numberof pts, will have to wait and see if it changes.
Was curious that in the elk draw the number of applicants in the special dropped, but they didn't all go into the regular, there was an overall drop in total applications. Is it going to be a short term trend, or are they finally pricing some people out? I agree, next couple years will be interesting to see how it goes

Just to add to the special pronghorn train, I'm in with 2 points. Expecting 50/50 chance to draw a tag. I think odds will be much better in the special this year, but not as good as many are expecting.

I think all this just shows us the difference between paying 1,200 and 2k and how it separates applicants. I've always felt that around 1,200 folks jump ship.
The only reason I applied special antelope was I'm able to share the trip cost with two other guys this year if we draw. So really in the end it's cheaper than a week long solo trip with shared cost.

Interesting, my thought was that special deer will see the best odds out of anything. Wyoming has competition in neighboring states when it comes to deer - plenty of good opportunities in Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc. that don't cost as much. I'd hunt those states before I'd pay for a special WY deer tag.

Antelope, on the other hand... those tags are quite difficult for a NR to draw in most other states. I think Wyoming has more bargaining power on those.

Like you said though, throw in the human element and it really is anyone's guess.
That is definitely a good thought I had not considered. That being said the area I have chosen to hunt is not known for giants unless you hire an outfitter to take you up high. However 3 years ago driving through during the late season I applied for I saw several 160 to 170 class, nice, heavy, square looking bucks that I would have loved to shoot.

Much like you spending all that money on pronghorn for dad, I am hoping to shoot a nice boxy buck. I would pay more if I thought odds were better. I'm guessing this year those who can afford outfitters do the special.

My buddies and I joke about my trophy room. I have a great collection of critters juuuust shy of record book. 2 antelope within 3/8 of an inch. One deer 1 inch under. A moose 1 3/4. Etc. I'd shoot every one again in a HEARTBEAT knowing that. I just liked the looks of them.... like taking dad hunting. If you like it, spend the cash. And more power to you!

All these guys going special, I'm starting to feel like my regular app might have a chance 😂.
I remember about a decade ago a popular hunting journal did a "Best unit in Idaho for archery elk." Article. It was my hunting unit.

We were overrun. You couldn't find a draw without people in it. Multiple trucks at the top and bottom. All of them shocked to know me and my buddies killed 6 of the 10 bulls killed the year before. All 6 point, none over 250 inches... Raghorns with 6 points. We had a lucky year and paid the price.

I learned that year media influence can be drastically overrated. Betting against it can be a winner.

I figured I will wait one more year to see the creep due to all of the crap WY is pulling right now so I never applied :). I can't wait to see the stats for this years applications.

Put grandson in for antelope youth draw. I’m just doing points because I just can’t fit in another hunt between my tags and commitments to help other people here in NV and Colorado

Question for all the folks that went special draw for antelope this year… Did you apply in special draw
Last year, apply For the first time in the recent past this year, or jump from the regular to special draw this year?

In on the special for deer and antelope. Don’t have a prayer for deer. I switched our antelope unit at the last minute hoping for better draw odds. Not an ideal unit, but with this likely being my only shot at a three generation hunt, I just sent it. $1,200 each will be a lot for a lower tier unit. It will get real interesting if we hit our second choice at $1,200.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back