2024 Whitetail Season (South Carolina) for WNC2500 and family (Live hunt)

WNC2500

This is my first time doing one of the live hunt threads, so I thought I would give it a shot. I always enjoy reading along with everyone as they write them

South Carolina season always opens on 10/11 no matter what day that falls on. My dad and I arrived early and for opening morning, it was a nice chilly morning to hunt on. I knew that deer would be moving because the temperature was 47 degrees. Wind was light, and barometric pressure was 30.27. It got light enough to see around 7:20am, and by 8am, I had already seen 8 does, and one button buck. At about 8:55am, I saw a basket rack 8 point that milled around eating acorns for probably 15 minutes. Another smaller buck (6 point) followed the same script and walked down the same trail at around 9:18. He ended up walking underneath me and headed over the hillside, through a pine transition area, toward where my dad was sitting. Dad's 30-30 rang out about 3 minutes later. I knew he had just shot the 6 point and he would be excited. At about 9:50, another 4 does came by me (behind me) and headed toward the lake. So, for the first AM of hunting, (12) does, (1) button buck, and (2) horned bucks. It is always fun to punch a tag on opening day. Dad has done that while hunting with me before. I am going back this evening solo, and dad and I are hunting again in the AM (Saturday).

Yesterday Dad and I got to the woods about 40 minutes before light. He was going to sit near a little dam, and some small puddles of water (enough for ducks to land in) and watch two hillsides. I sat overlooking two transitions of pines with hardwoods on both sides. This patch of woods and trails has always been fruitful for me. I have killed some nice bucks here. One I called “corkscrew” and you can probably tell why. I killed him four years ago.

1730071137586.jpeg

Dad saw a total of four does in his area. He said that one was a mom and small yearling and there other two were very large does. I ended up seeing the two very large does and considered shooting the largest one, but I have seen some big bucks in there this year and chose to give them a pass.

I was into the tree by 4:10 and at 4:30, 8 turkeys came through the woods and just acted like turkeys do. They were chasing each other around, and just feeding through the woods. Also, there were multiple large gobblers in there. At 4:55, a spike and a decent sized 8 point came from one of the pine transitions walking through the hardwoods. I decided he was a good one to hang the first tag on. I waited until he cleared a good bit of leaves and foilage, and squeezed the trigger.

1730072533275.jpeg

In at 4pm and dragging him out at 5:15. Could have stayed longer but the temperature was around 70 when I shot him.

Back