139gr CX loads for 7mm-08?

@homebase541@ I know you're new to the forum, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but when you come on a thread about finding a good load for a particular bullet in a particular caliber and start arguing that I shouldn't be using that bullet in that caliber in the first place, you aren't exactly off to a good start.

Feel free to start a different thread about monos in the 7mm08 if you like, but don't hijack mine.

Have you looked into what Barnes and others consider enough expansion to meet their "minimum" requirements? I don't think you're going to want to go below 2000 FPS with etips or barnes either.
I haven't found much on that subject; can you point me towards how they go about establishing those minimums?

A 7mm rem and a 139 gmx will be going about 2k ft/s at 650.... A 7mm-08 will be going about 2 k ft/s at 550.

Not really much different in a practical sense. If you happened to be 100 yards closer to the animal - literally exact same physics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241015_195455_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20241015_195455_Strelok Pro.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20241015_195426_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20241015_195426_Strelok Pro.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 3
đź’Ż

I personally have 3 elk, 2 deer, and a bear with soup'd innards to defy the idea that 3k fps is in any way necessary for monos. And I imagine we could collect a lot more examples if we started a thread about this.
There are other monolythics besides the Barnes offering. Not all are built the same and so, offer different properties. I like the Federal Trophy Copper, the Hornady CX and the Barnes LRX. You will find advocates for each (and others - "Hunter" comes to mind) here on HT, too. Hunters have been successful with any number of various monos. Just use what your rifle shoots best and pay attention to the ballistics data, etc. from the specific manufacturer. You'll be fine.

@homebase541@ I know you're new to the forum, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but when you come on a thread about finding a good load for a particular bullet in a particular caliber and start arguing that I shouldn't be using that bullet in that caliber in the first place, you aren't exactly off to a good start.

Feel free to start a different thread about monos in the 7mm08 if you like, but don't hijack mine.
I should apologize. I have never been on any forum of any kind before and somehow stumbled my way into this question unwittingly. I wrote out my answer and then it said that I had to be a member to push reply so I put in my email address…. I didn’t know that this conversation belonged to somebody and thought I was just replying to STD7mag on my second comment… pardon me for my lack of etiquette… I simply thought I was sharing the conclusion I had come to after hundreds of hours of 708 reloading with the rest of the world. Now that I informed myself of how this works a little bit I see my error.
My bad and thanks for giving the benefit of the doubt….

@yakimanoob,

Something that came to mind.
How long is your barrel?

I didn't see it mentioned.
Was just wondering if the length (or lack thereof) might be keeping you from reaching the velocity that you're looking for.

Any updates?

I'm trying the 130gr Cutting Edge MTH this year.

Length compared to a 150gr Nosler Solid Base (aka Ballistic Tip).

Attachments

• IMG20241020102126.jpg
    IMG20241020102126.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20241020102307.jpg
    IMG20241020102307.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is my second year shooting the CX bullets after switching from Hammers. Shooting the 150 grain in my 280AI and 190 grain in my 300prc. I've been really happy with the performance on the 5 animals I've taken so far. I reload for my son's 7mm-08 and haven't tried the 139 grain yet but sure wouldn't hesitate to load it. I currently have it loaded with 120 grain Barnes ttsx. Previously was using 131 grain hammer with the best load was with RL16 right at 2800 fps. The 120 Barnes load is with RL15 at 2940 fps. I never got a better load with Varget or Big Game. If I come across some 139's on the shelf, I'll give them a try.

Back