PEAX Equipment

Your Personal Wounding Rate- Archery Elk

What is your personal wounding rate on elk with a bow? # unrecovered divided by # shot with an arrow

• 0-10%

Votes: 59 69.4%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 41%+

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters
I’m 100% on elk, released 2 arrows and have killed 2 elk so small sample size. Wounding shots happen. I’ve had it happen with deer, and it makes me sick. I’d rather have not had the opportunity than to have wounded an animal. I’ve killed a bunch of deer with a rifle/slug gun and never lost one. I’ve also killed 2 elk with a rifle and never lost one or made a wounding shot.

I'm 1 wounded for 7 kills. which is 14%. The sample size is way to small to get an accurate percentage.

Wow, I skimmed through some of the comments on that one. Easily 15+ people messaging the guy to see if it was their bull. That means there’s 15 guys that think that bull looks close enough to the one they hit but didn't recover. It's like a twisted Cinderella story with a bunch of grown men trying to match an arrow..

Did this chit always go on at this rate or am I just more away of it because of SM? I’d rather go back to not knowing.

And don't get me wrong, I've had a couple go wrong and get it can get messy in a hurry but no way I'm posting about it for the world to see. Now we have dogs, thermal drones, and SM to save the day, might as well send it...

Wow, I skimmed through some of the comments on that one. Easily 15+ people messaging the guy to see if it was their bull. That means there’s 15 guys that think that bull looks close enough to the one they hit but didn't recover. It's like a twisted Cinderella story with a bunch of grown men trying to match an arrow..

Did this chit always go on at this rate or am I just more away of it because of SM? I’d rather go back to not knowing.

And don't get me wrong, I've had a couple go wrong and get it can get messy in a hurry but no way I'm posting about it for the world to see. Now we have dogs, thermal drones, and SM to save the day, might as well send it...
Now those people have a picture of a dead elk to show off saying I thought it was this bull. He was about this big when it was probably about 40” smaller

50 $*)Q!#@$ percent. Which is why I don't archery hunt anymore. It started as zero percent, then the last 3 elk weren't recovered and I stopped. It might be ethical for some people, but not for me.
I’ve heard that 90% of hunters take 10% of game. I think that a lot of things can be shown from those numbers. People learn how to put them self into positions for a shot and learn how to put themself into positions for a high success shots later with experience. Not to sound arrogant but I’d bet a lot of the 20% and up people have only taken a couple animals with a bow so their numbers are higher. If they learn and evolve into better hunters that number would drop for them.
I went through a bad spell a couple years ago. Target panic or just being a chity hunter or whatever you want to call it. When I was younger I would pull back and had 100% confidence the deer/elk was dead if I settled a pin on them. I definitely got humbled later in my archery hunting experience and had to really take a hard look at the shots I was taking. Nothing worse than hitting an elk and spending multiple days/multiple weekends trying to make a bad shot right. Anymore, I try and compensate by getting close and taking really high probability shots. Had a nice 6 pt at 40 yards this last Saturday. Bumped him in his bed and cow called to hold him up. 40-45 yards but alert. I would've taken that shot all day 3-4 years ago but my recent experience made me hesitate and not take a rushed shot. Oh well, he's fine and I get to keep hunting. There's always another bull to chase so if it's not right I don't shoot.

Pretty sure it’s always been going on. I remember as a kid guys talking about wounding elk all the time. Nothing new

Pretty sure it’s always been going on. I remember as a kid guys talking about wounding elk all the time. Nothing new
Agreed. No way this poll is representative. I don't believe it. I've known lots of bow hunters and every single one of them has lost animals. Most have taken less than 10 animals.

I quit bowhunting because of wounding and losing animals. I used to practice 8-9 months out of the year. I shot a couple dozen animals with a bow, deer/elk/antelope. I lost 3 ~12%. None were "bad" shots, one deer the arrow deflected off the ribs (mechanical) (he probably lived), another bull was buried to the fletching mid ribs, never found it, looked for 2 days with 3 friends, the last was quartering away down hill, pass through, bled like crazy, jumped him 3 hours later and never found him, there was no way the bull lived. Likely hit one lung. Bowhunting is no where near as effective as a rifle. Sure is fun, challenging and you can kill them, but putting an arrow in the chest cavity and not finding them is just stupid, the margin of error is too much for me. I've lost one animal with a rifle out of ~130.

In 35 years of elk hunting I have only lost one elk. I tracked it for over 9 miles and I am sure it lived. All other archery elk have fallen within 200 yards of shot.

I went through a bad spell a couple years ago. Target panic or just being a chity hunter or whatever you want to call it. When I was younger I would pull back and had 100% confidence the deer/elk was dead if I settled a pin on them. I definitely got humbled later in my archery hunting experience and had to really take a hard look at the shots I was taking. Nothing worse than hitting an elk and spending multiple days/multiple weekends trying to make a bad shot right. Anymore, I try and compensate by getting close and taking really high probability shots. Had a nice 6 pt at 40 yards this last Saturday. Bumped him in his bed and cow called to hold him up. 40-45 yards but alert. I would've taken that shot all day 3-4 years ago but my recent experience made me hesitate and not take a rushed shot. Oh well, he's fine and I get to keep hunting. There's always another bull to chase so if it's not right I don't shoot.
1. I'm glad it's not just me. But regarding the bold section, my response is "for some". That's never the case in WA, and for NRs we have like a 1-2 weeks, at best, somewhere with decent elk hunting, so while there may still be tomorrow, there may not be. I'm not trying to make excuses (irony because I am), but it's hard to avoid the stress and pressure of an out-of-state hunt that you've looked forward to for many years (or maybe just all summer), doing enough right to create an opportunity and then not trying to make the most of it. For me, being the shittiest of archery hunters (while my practice shooting is pretty good, and my hunting is pretty good right up until the moment of truth), that stress and the adrenaline of the moment were always too strong for rational thought and execution. As a person who values doing hard things, making difficult choices, and constantly pushing for personal growth, it was a real bitter pill to give up on archery, but the elk don't deserve the brunt of my continued failures as I pushed to be a better hunter in that final moment of truth.

Kenetrek Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rwink3
Back