MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Your Personal Wounding Rate- Archery Elk

What is your personal wounding rate on elk with a bow? # unrecovered divided by # shot with an arrow

• 0-10%

Votes: 44 73.3%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 31-40%

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 41%+

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
In t

In the case of Montana I think splitting the season would be a huge help the archery season would have more guys that are proficient with that weapon in the field and less that are recreational. The same could be said for rifle I’d bet seems like most people favor one or the other but use both so they aren’t as proficient
I would love for wyoming to do this as well. I like the Idaho method where there are controlled hunts for archery/rifle/muzzleloader. Designated take method would be beneficial in a lot of states.

Something else I feel would be beneficial, is allowing the range finding sights in states. Wyoming allows them, and I just put one on my bow 2 weeks ago. It takes all of the range guessing out of it, which would allow for better shot placement on animals, and less injured animals running around. Never got to shoot it at a bull, but I sure hammered a ton of grouse.

Something else I feel would be beneficial, is allowing the range finding sights in states. Wyoming allows them, and I just put one on my bow 2 weeks ago. It takes all of the range guessing out of it, which would allow for better shot placement on animals, and less injured animals running around. Never got to shoot it at a bull, but I sure hammered a ton of grouse.
And Utah just banned rangefinder sights because it made it too easy. They weren't concerned with the wounded animal argument.

Currently iv passed on three shot opportunities due to distance/lack of practice this year. It’s frustrating at first but it’s peaceful to watch elk do their elk thing. Then once the elk is gone I pull my hair out in frustration.

I’ve watched two different guys hit elk with an arrow and not recover them. One was a shoulder hit where the arrow went in 3 inches. Bull walked off a little sore but pretty confident he’s fine. The second was a pass through somewhere, but I didn’t see the hit so couldn’t say where.

If that was a law, I would have made sure both tags were punched and would’ve expected both guys to follow it. I’m sure a lot of guys out by themselves would just carry on but it may help a little. Guides and other hunters surely would have some impact on enforcing it.

A fuzzy feel regulation with no way to enforce it. mtmuley
I wonder though if it could still have a positive impact. One, as a value statement, and two, some of us are naturally law abiding citizens. I've been bow hunting for 55 years. I believe there is a huge problem.

I started bowhunting in 1974. I try to pick my shots that I know I can make. I did mess up and hit a 5x6 bull in the neck. This was in the breaks in 2008. It was in the evening, and he took off over a ridge. I checked but no blood, so I backed off and returned in the morning. I did locate him that morning. He had a distinct broken tine and was very easy to recognize. He had lost the arrow and had no blood showing. He was busy chasing a cow showing no sign of injury. I'm 100% sure he survived and his love life was not hindered.

That shot haunted me for a long time. The only thing I can come up with for the bad shot is I MAY have ticked a small branch from the spot I shot from. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Last edited:
This has been my experience. It can and does happen to everyone, but I'd say the overwhelming majority of it is repeat offenders with no change in sight.
Out of the 5-6 people I hunt with 90% of the lost animals comes from just one guy. He's a damn nice guy lethal with a rifle but put a bow in his hand and he's a wounding machine. Only person I've ever encouraged to get a crossbow because he wasn't gonna stop archery hunting. He's my neighbor and color blind so calls me to help blood trail. I know one season he shot 7 deer and only recovered two with his bow.

I would think the wound loss for rifle survey is going to have the same result. Some people are proficient and some aren’t. You see a lot more sloppy rifle hunters in the field shooting, nature of the weapon I guess.
Hard to say you hear a lot of he didn’t react to the shot must of been a clean miss. Which baffles me how you can be ok with missing a target the size of an elk. A person was 100% confident in the shot but shrugs off I miss a target the size of a elk and won’t go look

Hard to say you hear a lot of he didn’t react to the shot must of been a clean miss. Which baffles me how you can be ok with missing a target the size of an elk. A person was 100% confident in the shot but shrugs off I miss a target the size of a elk and won’t go look
Judging the hit or miss from animal reaction is foolish. mtmuley

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
globaltaxidermymounts.org
Back