Yoga?

Dubz337

So there's this thing my gf uses called ClassPass. Basically you pay around $60 CDN a month and get 30 credits to use at various fitness studios around the city, We work out together regularly, but she was wanting me to give it a try to see if there's other fitness things we can do together. On a free trial right now, already tried spin, barre, and crossfit. They all are great workouts, but I am not seeing them as offering anything more than my regular strength and cardio routine.

This week, going to try yoga. I know the stigma around it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of jokes in this thread which I'm prepared for, but yoga is the one that I'm actually most excited to try. Flexibility and core strength are of huge benefit in the backcountry, and also the mental benefits seem like they would be worth it as well. Admittedly, I don't know much other than a cursory knowledge, so I was wondering if anyone has tried/does yoga, and what the results were? Am I just getting hyped for nothing?

And no, I will not be wearing exclusively Lululemon from now on.

I've done yoga before. It's both relaxing and f'n hard at the same time. Ya boi isn't flexible...

I still do a few poses to stretch my back and shoulders when I work out or even just at home when my back/shoulders feel tense.

Guys who are serious about making fun of guys who do yoga have something to hide, otherwise, bring on the chirping!

Yoga = balance and mental appreciation for... I fall flat. My Physical Trainer had me in a few classes and aside from the distraction, that's tough stuff! I went back to the treadmill/elliptical and lower/upper weight lifting.

if there was more time in the day i'd be pretty interested in trying yoga.

so much to gain with flexibility and the unique all-body strength that comes from it.

but, i'll never do it at the expense of daily cardio and strength.

In my experience yoga is pretty well proven for fixing back pain. I don't do it often, but when my back starts acting up I try to get in 5-10 minutes of yoga stretches every day--nothing difficult, but you can definitely feel it in the back--and it usually resolves the pain within a week or so.

I also have a friend who had herniated discs and he also said yoga stretches have helped significantly.

I do fall off the wagon a lot when my back is feeling ok, so I really should incorporate these stretches daily. I'm also not flexible at all but even just warrior pose, lifting into that from push-up position/lunge, helps immensely.

I go with my girlfriend a couple of times a month. I enjoy it. I also did it a long time ago in the Army, it is great for helping you get comfortable in uncomfortable positions. The idea was being able to maintain your focus and calm to shoot effectively.

Just wait to be humbled. Relaxing and super hard at the same time is a good description. Uses completely different muscle memory than other workouts you described. I am not and have never been flexible. I wish I would have stayed at Yoga as it is super challenging. All depends on the instructor I would guess. I tried it during covid times so online was the only way to go at that particular time. Might try it again and try to stick with it a while.

So there's this thing my gf uses called ClassPass. Basically you pay around $60 CDN a month and get 30 credits to use at various fitness studios around the city, We work out together regularly, but she was wanting me to give it a try to see if there's other fitness things we can do together. On a free trial right now, already tried spin, barre, and crossfit. They all are great workouts, but I am not seeing them as offering anything more than my regular strength and cardio routine.

This week, going to try yoga. I know the stigma around it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of jokes in this thread which I'm prepared for, but yoga is the one that I'm actually most excited to try. Flexibility and core strength are of huge benefit in the backcountry, and also the mental benefits seem like they would be worth it as well. Admittedly, I don't know much other than a cursory knowledge, so I was wondering if anyone has tried/does yoga, and what the results were? Am I just getting hyped for nothing?

And no, I will not be wearing exclusively Lululemon from now on.

I do it every day. Awesome for core strength, flexibility, pain management and stress relief. Haters gonna hate, but shooters gotta shoot!

I also do 30 to 45 heavy spinning and then lift. ⏰ 5 am…

Well sounds like yoga is a go

She also wants me try pilates, some form of it called 'le grah' (sp), as apparently that will kick your ass too.

I remember starting the original P90x. The first few days were brutal, I couldn’t wait to get to the yoga day for something easier finally.

Wrong. Worst one.

In my experience yoga is pretty well proven for fixing back pain. I don't do it often, but when my back starts acting up I try to get in 5-10 minutes of yoga stretches every day--nothing difficult, but you can definitely feel it in the back--and it usually resolves the pain within a week or so.

I also have a friend who had herniated discs and he also said yoga stretches have helped significantly.

I do fall off the wagon a lot when my back is feeling ok, so I really should incorporate these stretches daily. I'm also not flexible at all but even just warrior pose, lifting into that from push-up position/lunge, helps immensely.

This ^

My hips and hamstrings are as flexible as concrete.
Yoga helps.
We stream sessions in our living room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back