Yeti GOBOX Collection

Y'er Freshwater Favorites & Recipes

Favorite Freshwater Fish To Eat - Multiple Selection Open

• Sturgeon & Paddlefish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gar & Carp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I just fry fillets in egg wash and corn meal. Zero seasoning so as to not cover taste of the fillet. Best to very good are yellow perch, crappie, shellcracker and bluegill. Trout don't make the list of best but fresh out of the water over coals, well-seasoned with Chachere's and butter and juiced is right tolerable. That works for anything, though.

Thanks @Scott85 🤔
I think you just prompted the most recent fish to my bucket list/lust with flyrod.
What state did that beauty come from?
This one came from Virginia. Tons of places to fish for them in Va and Maryland. I’d be more than happy to share what I know and spots for them via DM.

Notes:

Soak your catfish in buttermilk up to overnight before frying. Makes it tolerable. I really only catfish in a tomato sauce based stew. Basically a simplified Brunswick stew but only has catfish and taters. I don't think you're allowed to have a recipe for catfish stew.

Sweet brine and smoke your rockfish. (That's a striped bass for those who learned from magazines.) Makes bacon. What you don't scarf use for cullen skink. Basically cook onions and taters down then add rockfish bacon and cream. You won't need salt but may want pepper. Drops of Crystal's once in the bowl go well.

The neat thing about these onion, tater, fish recipes is you can do them with home-grown ingredients. Just incredible.

This is how I treat channel cats. I like them about 20". Bleed immediately and put on ice. After filleting separate into 2 loins, top and bottom. Remove about an 1/8 " from the skin side of the loins removing all or most of the brown, zebra striped flesh. On the top of the fillet remove the gristly, yellow back meat. If they've been in the freezer awhile I'll soak the fillets in mustard water. Deep or pan fry in a spiced up corn flour blend I developed as a side hustle when I was guiding.

This is kind of a blondes, brunettes or red heads question.
Just about all fish are great to eat, some just require different methods of preparation.
Pick as many as what floats your boat. Heck if you're offering that selection, I'd pick all. Just depends if they have unique talents...(?).

It's set for multiple selections.

Bonus points for any who share the recipe and pics! Mouth watering! *** No, not speaking of the selections you offered. 🤣

As far as condiments go, just a simple lemon wedge.

I brine catfish overnight and they taste great - never had an issue. Cheek meat is the best.

Voted bass, but not just any bass-- freshwater striped bass, chunked and deep-fried in Weisenberger Mill fish batter (only natives of the Commonwealth are likely to recognize that one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrestonThayne
Back