Y'er Freshwater Favorites & Recipes

Favorite Freshwater Fish To Eat - Multiple Selection Open

• Sturgeon & Paddlefish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gar & Carp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sytes

Recipes! This is the house of recipes - Include favorite dipping sauce(s) and sides that compliment, if it floats your boat!

If you're so inclined, those fish that may not be at the common top of the list to eat - you share your recipe talent that makes it something we might find worth trying ourselves!

I'm hitting the Thousand Islands area for the next few days. Apparently the bass are catch and release only until June 14th. However, pike are open to keep. Wife and I are staying at one of the State campgrounds and if a fish happens stay aboard - we were perusing the *fix all YouTube channel.

Pike Y bone fillet process and a great looking recipe (seems a common favorite) and dipping sauce (especially liking the sauce) looks great! The recipe, cooking, and sauce are at the end of the video.

Really enjoy fried fish so I put a new twist on it. Batter filets with your favorite dry mix then a good coating of Frank's hot sauce, batter again then into the hot oil. A little to spicy for my wife but I love it.

I’ll eat large and smallmouth bass 12” and up. Most local places have a 15” minimum, but I have one spot for each in my county without a size limit. They’re not quite as good as panfish, but still pretty decent.

Perch are my favorite panfish, but central and southern Iowa are slim pickins. I’d target them quite a bit MN and WI ice fishing when I lived up that way. Early April in the right spot can get quite a haul. I like cracker crumb and fried in peanut oil, no egg.

Pike, walleye - olive oil and herbs, bake.

Stream trout - pan fry crispy in salted butter.

Catfish - smoked. I’d like to try that with whitefish someday as well.

Pickled whitefish is tasty, good way to do small northern pike as well.

One of my favorites is grilled whitebass tacos. Just need to hover the knife a bit on the skin side and you get a nice clean fillet- get to close to the skin and it gets some of the dark, less tasty stuff.

Walleye and perch should be grouped, not walleye and pike 😜
Whaaa?
I was very scientific in the poll. 🤣

"Walleyes are members of the perch family but are not considered Panfish like their cousin, the yellow perch. All members of the family are warmwater fish."

Catfish seems to be the one fish that is either amazing or nasty. Never had an in between.
Never had good catfish no matter how it's made it always holds a muddy flavor.
Other note: I've heard though haven't tried yet; simmer pieces of pike in milk and it's a close thrill for lobster. Dip in butter and supposedly pretty darn good. Anyone tried ever given this a shot?

Never had good catfish no matter how it's made it always holds a muddy flavor.
Other note: I've heard though haven't tried yet; simmer pieces of pike in milk and it's a close thrill for lobster. Dip in butter and supposedly pretty darn good. Anyone tried ever given this a shot?
Never had a good one around here either. South of the mason dixon is where it's at. Those boys know how to cook it, coupled with hush puppies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back