Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming unit 100

sigpros

Good morning group,

I was able to pull a unit 100-4 tag with a buddy for this fall. It is his first elk hunt and we are wanting to camp in the unit. I was just curious if anyone had a good suggestion of a place to stay? Also how are the roads in the area? Would a truck be fine for transpertion to get to an area and then take off on foot or do we need to bring an atv? We will be staying in an enclosed trailer we turned into a camper. And I was wondering what other things in the area to see or do? Hoping one of us will at least be able to punch our first elk tag

Thank you for any information

No specific advice but…the roads in the area can get very bad with rain. The clay is virtually impassible. I would plan accordingly with a trailer. There were many days I wish I had brought quads. JMO.

Some of the 2 tracks are better in the rain/snow than the. County roads. I would bring the quads for sure. Your already pulled a cargo trailer.
Set your camp up in a location you can hunt from.

We’re planning on camping by buffalo hump . We can hunt them to and from the hayfields.

My wife had a cow tag for that area several years ago. It snowed about 4" and then melted. It was really difficult to get back to the blacktop. Ran into a local, and he said to get going before the road thawed, and he was correct.

There isn't much in that area for a camp that has cover, water and firewood if that is what you looking for in a camp. Otherwise there are 100s of spots to pull off of the two track on blm and park it on a flat spot among the sage. There are elk pretty much everywhere you go in that unit but it is significantly easier to glass and then get in range of a herd the further north you go in the unit.

The roads also dry out in a day or less depending on the amount of moisture, wind, and temperature.

If it were me, I'd leave the quads at home if you have plenty of time to spend letting the roads dry out.

Also, if the roads are really bad, literally hunt off I-80...I see elk nearly every time I travel that way starting about June all through hunting season.

Most of the time, they're standing around gawking at the traffic going by. Has to literally be the easiest unit in the State to kill an elk in.

The roads also dry out in a day or less depending on the amount of moisture, wind, and temperature.

If it were me, I'd leave the quads at home if you have plenty of time to spend letting the roads dry out.

Also, if the roads are really bad, literally hunt off I-80...I see elk nearly every time I travel that way starting about June all through hunting season.

Most of the time, they're standing around gawking at the traffic going by. Has to literally be the easiest unit in the State to kill an elk in.
I just had a @topgun30-06 flash back in there.

I was just out there yesterday. I was around the Oregon butte area. Got rain and hail yesterday around 2, by 630 couldn’t hardly tell that it even rained a bit.

Good morning group,

I was able to pull a unit 100-4 tag with a buddy for this fall. It is his first elk hunt and we are wanting to camp in the unit. I was just curious if anyone had a good suggestion of a place to stay? Also how are the roads in the area? Would a truck be fine for transpertion to get to an area and then take off on foot or do we need to bring an atv? We will be staying in an enclosed trailer we turned into a camper. And I was wondering what other things in the area to see or do? Hoping one of us will at least be able to punch our first elk tag

Thank you for any information
I hunted that unit last fall. You are in for a good hunt! I hunted the central part of the unit and I was able to find elk every day. I also have an enclosed trailer that I converted to a camper and parked it up on high ground where I could get cell phone service. My wife worries because I hunt alone and it was nice to be able to call her each night. When you get off the high ground there is no cell service. Just saying. The elk were easy to find because there is no cover (trees). You can see for miles. At one point I could see three herds of elk at the same time, all more than a mile away. I chose different areas to park and hiked in to glassing areas each morning. An ATV would have been nice but not absolutely needed. I had stalk opportunities every day. Feel free to send a PM if you have questions. I'd be happy to share what I know about the unit.

I'll agree with a rifle its pretty much shooting fish i a barrel. With a bow however is a different story

I hunted that unit last fall. You are in for a good hunt! I hunted the central part of the unit and I was able to find elk every day. I also have an enclosed trailer that I converted to a camper and parked it up on high ground where I could get cell phone service. My wife worries because I hunt alone and it was nice to be able to call her each night. When you get off the high ground there is no cell service. Just saying. The elk were easy to find because there is no cover (trees). You can see for miles. At one point I could see three herds of elk at the same time, all more than a mile away. I chose different areas to park and hiked in to glassing areas each morning. An ATV would have been nice but not absolutely needed. I had stalk opportunities every day. Feel free to send a PM if you have questions. I'd be happy to share what I know about the unit.
Grip and grin?

Grip and grin?
I had good shot opportunities on two 5x5 bulls and a really nice 6x6 but I had a type 2 tag. Needed 4 points or less on one side and I did not find one of those. One of the bulls was bedded down and I watched him for half an hour at 300 yards. The passenger side had 5 points and it looked like the the drivers side may have been four points and a legal bull for my tag. Just couldn't get a good look for quite a while. After quite some time, the fifth point was visible. No elk were killed in the making of my new memories.

I had good shot opportunities on two 5x5 bulls and a really nice 6x6 but I had a type 2 tag. Needed 4 points or less on one side and I did not find one of those. One of the bulls was bedded down and I watched him for half an hour at 300 yards. The passenger side had 5 points and it looked like the the drivers side may have been four points and a legal bull for my tag. Just couldn't get a good look for quite a while. After quite some time, the fifth point was visible. No elk were killed in the making of my new memories.
Bummer those rag tags can be fun. Before the prices got crazy I pulled one on second choice. He was with a 5-6 other bulls one would have been around 360” but was busted right at the sword. He would have been a legal bull but got the pass due to we felt this wasn’t the intent of the tag

Attachments

• IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
Back