WY Mule Deer

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Great bucks all around! Looks like some great country to spend some time in. Between the OP and Carl's crew I'm a bit surprised though. Where's the super MaxAdvantageInfinityMilspec camo?? ;)

Any new gear that was tried and worked? Didn't work?

Holy smokes. That is some serious mule deer action there. Congrats to all of you on some amazing bucks.

Any new gear that was tried and worked? Didn't work?
At this point I have pretty high confidence in most of the gear I use or it went away. Here are a few things that were new-ish...

I've had a Polartec Neoshell jacket from Westcomb (Shift LT) for almost a year now and used it HARD. I couldn't be more impressed with breathability, water resistance, and Westcomb's build quality (I knew that last one already). It breathes noticeably better than eVent, which is saying something. I still love my eVent shell, but this one is a winner.

Love the Six Moon Lunar Solo. Tons of floorspace for 1, good headroom, sheds weather, taught pitch, 23 oz.

Continue to love the Stone Glacier Solo, had it just under a year as well.

This was the first animal for my GAP 6.5x47L. It's shot pretty well from day one, held zero, etc. I was shooting 136 scenars this summer, then tried a load with 139's that shot really well so went with it for the fall. I'll shoot both more this winter and see what they do.

At this point I have pretty high confidence in most of the gear I use or it went away. Here are a few things that were new-ish...

I've had a Polartec Neoshell jacket from Westcomb (Shift LT) for almost a year now and used it HARD. I couldn't be more impressed with breathability, water resistance, and Westcomb's build quality (I knew that last one already). It breathes noticeably better than eVent, which is saying something. I still love my eVent shell, but this one is a winner.

Love the Six Moon Lunar Solo. Tons of floorspace for 1, good headroom, sheds weather, taught pitch, 23 oz.

Continue to love the Stone Glacier Solo, had it just under a year as well.

This was the first animal for my GAP 6.5x47L. It's shot pretty well from day one, held zero, etc. I was shooting 136 scenars this summer, then tried a load with 139's that shot really well so went with it for the fall. I'll shoot both more this winter and see what they do.
THanks for the run down. Did you carry the Shift LT and the eVent shell? I guess what I'm asking is, does the Shift turn water well enough that it can be the shell as well?

Keep us posted on how the 6.5X47 does through out the winter. I've heard folks having issues in cold, cold weather.

Again congrats on a beauty of a buck and in some very neat looking country.

THanks for the run down. Did you carry the Shift LT and the eVent shell? I guess what I'm asking is, does the Shift turn water well enough that it can be the shell as well?

Keep us posted on how the 6.5X47 does through out the winter. I've heard folks having issues in cold, cold weather.

Again congrats on a beauty of a buck and in some very neat looking country.
I used the Shift LT as my wind and rain shell. Basically a second skin when it rains that much. I had the same experience this spring while bushwhacking in slushy precip. that sold me on it. Gotta keep up on the DWR like everything else no doubt.

Thanks. Judging from the description of your use of it, I'm assuming it's quiet enough to be used as a jacket in the absence of wet weather. True? I'd really, really like to only have to pack one jacket on a backpack based hunt.

PS- I looked at Westcombs site, they aren't giving them away!

It's much quieter than a traditional hard shell. I've found similar of Polartec Powershield Pro as well. Slightly less waterproof than neoshell, but functions as a shell in cold weather, is very quiet, and breathes very well.

Hitting the closeouts is essential with Westcomb.

Thanks for the info. I've also found a few other companies making jackets with neoshell that have a bit more palatable price. I'm sure I'm giving some up in build quality, but...

Wow as much as i'm on here, not sure how I missed this thread, great bucks right there, I need too get too wyoming and do some deer hunting one of these years, Congrats on the great bucks and deep forks on most of them, your team did very well, :eek:
Matt

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back