WY 119-2 Deer

nicktown97

Always wanted a nice muley buck to mount. Been working on nothing but whitetails and ducks. Been putting in for colorado mule deer for years and each year we have 90%+ odds to draw and don't. Been buying elk and antelope points in Wyoming for the past 4 years. Had no deer points. Just figured I'd eventually draw colorado. Issue is, we keep trying to put in for units that take the exact amount of points we have then creep kicks in. Finally I got frustrated this year after not drawing when it was 100% with our points last year. I put in Wyoming 119-2 on a whim. Figured I'd put in for what gohunt said was a good realistic but highly unlikely tag to draw. I had a 3% chance with no points to draw random. Put in by myself and figured if I drew it would be a good problem to have. Sure enough the results came out and when I checked I thought I drew an antelope tag. Went to screenshot to a buddy and realized it was deer. My question is, since it's realistically once a decade hunt, nobody should be worried about spot stealing. Anybody know the area that are willing to give me some insight on things like what general areas to check out and what size of bucks to expect. If you aren't comfortable with that, anything helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612_215831_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_215831_Facebook.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Hard to get any

That may be cuz ppl join to just get info for places and then they quit ..
Actually been on here for 4 years when I went on an antelope hunt and get on quite often asking taxidermy questions. Had to make a whole new profile to due to issues with my last one. Just wanted help on a unit that has very little info on it due to such a limited draw.

Hunted pronghorn out there a couple times 5 / 6 years ago. There's two places that rent cabins and RV spots, Grass Creek Ranch (now SonShine?) and Horseworks. Get a Absoroka Front HMA permit for access to private along Grass Creek Rd. Grass Creek Rd will take you to the NF land.

I had the tag about 10 years ago. Most of the tag holders will shoot 150-160" bucks rutting alongside the Grass Creek Rd.

I had the tag about 10 years ago. Most of the tag holders will shoot 150-160" bucks rutting alongside the Grass Creek Rd.
In my two trips out there, albeit in September, I don't think I saw a buck bigger than 140". And yes, they were standing under pivots along the roads or eating off haystacks. I bumped into the biologist out in the field one day and asked about it. He was of the opinion that CWD may have had a negative effect on the older age class bucks in the area.

In my two trips out there, albeit in September, I don't think I saw a buck bigger than 140". And yes, they were standing under pivots along the roads or eating off haystacks. I bumped into the biologist out in the field one day and asked about it. He was of the opinion that CWD may have had a negative effect on the older age class bucks in the area.
I haven’t been back to the area since, but I can believe that after seeing the article that was posted on here a few weeks back about the CWD prevalence in that area. I saw one legitimately nice buck that I would have shot on my hunt.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back