Kenetrek Boots

Woodsmanship

Butcher

Been listening to a lot of deer podcasts lately and I keep hearing woodsmanship skills. And it made me reminisce of the old days where I wandered the woods with a rimfire and shot squirrels and had no exact “spot” to get to. It also made me realize I don’t have near the skills I did as a teenager stalking those tree rats, my goal this year is to get early season and even during deer season and relearn wandering. I think squirrel hunting is one of the best ways to get myself to just stop planning and start getting those “gut” feelings back. Just my .02

This is one of the reasons I e really invested in coyote hunting, skill building.

Really relevant with all the Idaho tech stuff.

I learned range estimation and windage shooting ground squirrels on the ranch. No tech, no bipods. Just sitting on high ground with a .30-06 banging away until I started getting first time hits.

Varmint hunters are marksmen.

Last edited:
Been listening to a lot of deer podcasts lately and I keep hearing woodsmanship skills. And it made me reminisce of the old days where I wandered the woods with a rimfire and shot squirrels and had no exact “spot” to get to. It also made me realize I don’t have near the skills I did as a teenager stalking those tree rats, my goal this year is to get early season and even during deer season and relearn wandering. I think squirrel hunting is one of the best ways to get myself to just stop planning and start getting those “gut” feelings back. Just my .02
Kinda funny you posting that I had today off so me an the boys spent 4 hrs this morning wondering around after bushy tails makes me proud watching them an seein em use wat I've tried to teach em

My Uncle, my son and myself spend a lot of time wandering the woods looking for what nature has to offer. We love watching the sun come up through the trees and the woods become alive with nature.

I was thinking a similar thought the other day. As a teen I used to shoot a ton. Walking the beach and shooting bulb kelp as it bobbed up and down in the waves and hunting shoe shoe hares. I have nowhere near the shooting instincts I did back then. I need to break out the 22 and get back into it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back