Advertisement

Why coyotes need managed

Coyotes continue to thrive no matter how hard we try to kill them. It’s somewhat admirable. We have a 3 legged yote that we feed at work. I kind of like the thing, he keeps the geese away. Now he has a big fishing lure stuck in him. I’m sure there was a lot of alcohol involved in someone’s plan to cast for the coyote.

I watched this bozo eat buckthorn berries for a few minutes until he caught my wind. I put a video of it on social media for the sole purpose of annoying my deer hunter friends.

It doesn’t matter what I’m hunting, if I see a coyote, it becomes a coyote watching.IMG_3045.jpeg

Coyotes are good at keeping deer populations in check where there is an over abundance and poor fawning cover. The down side is that they eat buck fawns. So I try to kill every one I see.
This one ran across the road with this jar stuck on its head and got across before I could get a shot. I grabbed my gun and chased it down. I can still vividly remember chasing him through the thicket and hearing the jar bouncing off of trees that he would run into.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpeg
    IMG_1290.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 40
I can only speak for my location but coyotes have a major impact on our mule deer. Not many fawns make it past their first few months. Rare to see twins in the Fall. This year the coyotes had above average reproduction along with the voles, mice, upland birds and finally seeing some previously rare cottontails. Fawns fed a lot of those litters. Coyote, pups and adults, were commonly seen hunting voles in pastures in broad daylight. This increase in coyotes had nothing to do with them being previously scarce.

Coyotes adjust reproduction as mortality increases like a lot of predators, and territories too. The latter often get smaller, so thoughts that killing some making things better can actually make things worse.

Coyotes adjust reproduction as mortality increases like a lot of predators, and territories too. The latter often get smaller, so thoughts that killing some making things better can actually make things worse.
I will still kill every one I see. .300 RUM and a 125 Ballistic Tip at 3800 wrecks them pretty good. mtmuley

Coyote management has been as effective as the war on drugs. Sometimes defeat needs to be recognized.

I tend not to shoot coyotes but have no issues with those who do. I enjoy watching coyotes or fox mouse a field I’m watching.

Several years ago I read a study conducted I believe on the Savana River military site attempting to determine the effect of coyotes and bobcats on deer populations. One takeaway concerning coyotes is that they check deer urine and can detect when a doe is close to giving birth (water breaks..don't remember), however, the doe is then followed and the majority of time the predator has a favorable and tasty meal.

Coyotes are good at keeping deer populations in check where there is an over abundance and poor fawning cover. The down side is that they eat buck fawns. So I try to kill every one I see.
This one ran across the road with this jar stuck on its head and got across before I could get a shot. I grabbed my gun and chased it down. I can still vividly remember chasing him through the thicket and hearing the jar bouncing off of trees that he would run into.
Obviously a need to create a coyote training video on how/why coyotes should only eat female fawns.

There has been several dogs and cats killed in my area because the coyotes are out of hand around here. My daughter lost her little dog to one , my Great Pyrenees got ran over after he got out of the fence and was after two coyotes that got in our pasture. My neighbor has lost two cats. I will shoot every coyote I see. They are evil little bastards as far as I’m concerned!

I was taking my 4 month old French Brittany for a walk last night. At the last minute I decided to throw a leash on him. Glad I did. We came up over a hill and this guy was 15 yards away. He stared at us for a good 2-3 minutes and seemed especially interested in the pup. i took this picture with my cell phone. I finally decided to walk the other way and could hear him behind us. My wife was not impressed when I told her.

By chance a buddy was coming to hunt them at our place a couple hours later and I’m pretty sure this was one of the two they killed. I have nothing against coyotes. That said, I dyed and waxed my traps today.

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpeg
    IMG_7484.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
coyotes can be controlled to the point of there is not any left in an area to speak of. There are examples of this in the past, like the kaibab and the strip in the mid 1900's

The deal is it takes professional methods, widespread poison use, continual aerial gunning you will eventually get them all out of an area.

I've seen it done recently when several ranchers in an fairly open valley work together with a helicopter in the late winter and you will not see a coyote for the rest of the spring. were talking about killing 500+ coyotes in a couple days

but just a couple few guys out shooting isnt going to get the job done

I do know that a dead coyote is no longer a live coyote. I've proven that theory to be true in 4 states and one Canadian province. 😁

coyotes can be controlled to the point of there is not any left in an area to speak of. There are examples of this in the past, like the kaibab and the strip in the mid 1900's

The deal is it takes professional methods, widespread poison use, continual aerial gunning you will eventually get them all out of an area.

I've seen it done recently when several ranchers in an fairly open valley work together with a helicopter in the late winter and you will not see a coyote for the rest of the spring. were talking about killing 500+ coyotes in a couple days

but just a couple few guys out shooting isnt going to get the job done
If that intensive with pousin is legal anywhere still, it too needs to be regularly repeated to not have them move right back in...in perhaps higher numbers than before.

What many don't understand is that well established territories limit numbers in many predator species. You take some out and others fill that hole soon, often in higher densities than before.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ttt
Back