Which state MT or AK

Montana or Alaska

• Montana: Deer, Elk, Antelope, decent fishing, lots of outdoor activites

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Alaska: Deer, Moose, Grizz, Sheep, Goat, fantastic fishing, but long winter

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
I have lived nearly my entire life in Wyoming which has very similar opportunities to MT. Would take the adventure of Alaska for a few years.

I will stay in MT. Wish I could have spent a few years in AK, but now I would be afraid that I could never get back here. The perk about MT critters, I can drive my pick-up to where they are and start hunting. If I owned an airplane and boat, AK may give me equal access.

Is Bambi working on getting away from the East Coast? ;)

I can't hunt griz, wolves, or sheep(for at least 7 more years) and the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence. Put me down for Alaska.

AK is tough and Miller hit it on the head. There is hardly anything such as a quick evening hunt from most places a person has to live.

So AK only if there are some experiences and new critters that need kilt. Other wise MT.

Honestly, if we were talking just for pure hunting purposes, I would choose Montana. Here's why, I know everyone thinks Alaska is the land of milk and honey, but honestly, it isn't that great for the average guy. Moose can be difficult unless you have a honey hole or the money to fly or float. You have to get drawn for decent shots at goat or sheep. Spot and stalk for bears is almost nonexistent...unless you are down in Kodiak. Most people have to bait which is a lot of work (and not hunting to some people). About the only "easy" hunt is probably caribou. Mind you, I'm not complaining, because living in Alaska rocks. I just think opportunities are better in Montana. Of course, I've never lived or hunted in Montana, so maybe I'm wrong.

Now fishing, on the other hand. I love fishing in Alaska. It is definitely more of an every-man sport. Its not real expensive (most of the time) and there are so many lakes and rivers, of which most have some kind of catchable fish. There is fly fishing for trout and grayling. Reel and rod fishing for lake trout, burbot, and salmon. And then all the deep sea fishing in the ocean. I'm not sure if Alaska can be beat for fishing.

Well, my good friend just got moved back here from AK. We talked about just that. He said he was glad to be back. He said he was glad to have had the opportunity to get those critters up there but he needed roots and he didn't want to be there for the rest of his life. He killed moose, Dall Sheep, Caribou, and a 9 ft grizzly. But he said kind of along the lines of what miller said, just to go on a hunt is a major production, boats, planes, storing gas up river, etc. You can't just jump in the truck and head out for an evening kind of thing.
Sooooo, if its permanent, I would say MT, if its a few years then your outta there, I gotta say take the opportunity and do AK, get those supreme critters under your belt and be happy.
He also said he really missed elk hunting.

Now if you throw in BC I would answer differently. I like hunting pronghorn, but could get over it.:D

I already have the accent, I could break out the flannel and blend right in, eh. However I'm not sure I'd want to change residency or deal with that.

What would keep a person from going to MT to hunt while living in AK? Its just money and a plane ticket right? Besides A guy could go on the states dime with the welfare check they give out every year.

I agree that there are more opportunities to hunt in MT and its less of a production to do so, however... I'd really like to kill a sheep, gizz, goat and a moose in my lifetime. I doubt it will ever happen in MT. I think I'd like to tough it out for a couple years and see what it would be like

Do it. My brother told me he has had NO REGRETS. He wasn't even really into fishing before he went up there, now he loves it.

But he does miss elk hunting.

Been to both

I live in Idaho and have spent a lot of time in both choices.

I just can't seem to fall out of love with Ak.

I'd take MT and then just do a couple hunts in AK for the rest.

The only hunt I would do if I lived in AK that I likely wont ever do while living in the lower 48 is the griz/brown bear hunt.

But, grizzly and brown bear are not a very high priority for me either.

The only difference in cost on moose, caribou, black bears, sitka, etc. is just the plane tickets up there.

The fishing would be great though, and of course the adventure as well. But, I just dont believe its worth putting up with the rough climate to have an opportunity at sheep, goat, and grizzly bears...and then have to fly back for all the hunting in the lower 48.

Dall sheep are the cheapest of the sheep to hunt, goats can be had in the lower 48 and arent that expensive either.

Easier decision for me as I already have 2 of the 3 things you need a guide for in AK.

I dont think you can make a bad choice either way...trade-offs to both though for sure.

I'd take Montana. I'm not sure I could get through a fall without elk hunting, thus Alaska would be a distant choice for me. Montana's climate agrees much more with me as well.

Would this guy use a guide or DIY, I am surprised that you all are voting for

montana when you bitch everytime an out-a-stater wants to shoot your big

ol' buck

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back