Where to submit an article

Runnin_Chupacabra

I've never been mistaken for a writer but I put together an article the other day and am looking for suggestions on places to submit it. I did submit it to DU (they were full back in May and may resubmit) and BHA. Article below:

Screenshot 2024-10-23 at 11.30.00 AM.png
One of my favorite pictures, taken by Mom. It was my second time ever hunting the refuge. I was a 29-year-old know nothing, some may argue that remains to be true, but the cold mornings, vibrant sunrises and whistling wings of the refuge had me hooked. Mom didn’t hunt but had an appreciation for it. One morning she decided to join me to see what brought her boy so much joy. It was early, really early, odds were the morning news anchors weren’t even up yet. With breakfast and lunch packed, we jumped in the frigid truck and made our way towards the valley. For those that aren’t familiar, public land duck hunting is a mad dash for the best spots. Mom and I were quick off the line and headed for a pond that had some potential. I skeetered my way across the water but Mom was getting a crash course in navigating her way through the muddy marsh. The mud bogged down her every step as she tried her darnedest to keep her balance and avoid falling in the water. Disregarding her “keep going” wave, I doubled back to make sure she stayed dry and was content in letting other folks pass us by. We eventually settled into a spot and mom quietly snapped a few photos as I set up our decoy spread. We waited in anticipation of birds approaching our spread but the ducks never got the memo. Teal would buzz over head in route to anywhere else and it seemed that every other duck had the same idea, but Mom was loving the sights and sounds as the sun slowly heated up the morning sky and the refuge came alive. Eventually a pair of gadwall honed in on our spread, shotgun went to shoulder and BANG, I had my first refuge duck. Since we didn’t have a bird dog, I was the designated bird dog. Walking my way back to our seats, bird in hand, I glanced up and saw the look of a proud Mom. So proud to the point she wanted to stay all day, and we did. I can’t recall the person, but I remember them noting a “shoe is on the other foot” aspect of a parent’s relationship with their kid. The gist of it is, when you have kids they are going to slow you down, no question about it, but if you’re lucky enough someday you’ll be the one slowing them down. I’d never been happier to have the favor returned that frigid January morning. It’s been 12 months since I lost my Mom to cancer. She didn’t lose her battle but just ran out of time as we all eventually will. I’m grateful to have shared this experience with her and feel thankful to have that memory in my mind as if it happened yesterday. We’re all lucky to have the connection to the outdoors and more important, those with whom we share it with.

I have written a few articles and I was in contact with the magazine editors on most of the articles.

I found out what they wanted for material, # of words and associated photos. They will also alter your content to satisfy their perception of what the story is that they want to convey.

I would guess they get hundreds of submissions every week and aren’t short of articles to print outside of their staff writers.

Don’t be too disappointed if they don’t respond or show much interest, you may have to submit it a bunch of times to get anyone to consider your story…

IMG_5016.jpegIMG_5017.jpeg

Back