Kenetrek Boots

In to the Great Unknown- Wyo Doe Antelope

smalls

Tomorrow morning well before the sun rises I will depart for Wyoming with my oldest daughter. She had some tough luck in the draw and came up empty on a buck tag, but she drew a doe tag in a different unit. The 2nd choice application was a bit of an afterthought, and if I believe what I read on the internet it may very well be one of the worst units in the state for finding an antelope on an accessible piece of state land. However, I take all many of the web stories with a grain of salt as most of them start with a rant about how terrible the area is and the story ends with some variation of "I shot my animal 20 minutes after sun up on the first day".

I've "digitally prepared", pins placed on On-X and copious time spent looking at google earth. But I really don't know what to actually expect once I step foot in the unit. We've got a few days and I'm lucky that my daughter probably prefers the "hiking" part of hunting than the "hunting" part of hunting. If after a couple of days the prospects look bleak we may just switch gears and find some cool hikes to strike out on. She has never killed a big game animal, so I hope she gets that experience but if it doesn't happen, the ride home will not be filled with regret.

So the next few days look pretty ambiguous. I don't know what we're going to find. I don't even know what our focus is going to be. But I am grateful that this $35 2nd choice tag is going to serve as the mechanism to spend a long weekend with a kid that will be off to college in another 18 or so months.

Into the great unknown!

Safe travels and best of luck !!
Weather coming in on Tuesday next week that could be quite the change, be prepared if here that long.

But I am grateful that this $35 2nd choice tag is going to serve as the mechanism to spend a long weekend with a kid that will be off to college in another 18 or so months
Best to the two of you. Quoted portion sums it up quite nice! Grats pops!

Back