Where to stay?

WildWill

Will be headed just west of telluride to deer hunt this 3rd season. Plan on getting there a few days early in the middle of the week to do some scouting and get camp setup. It's about a 16+ hour drive to my unit and I'm over the days of cannonball running to my spot especially alone. So I've decided to stop somewhere around Alamosa or Pagosa springs get a place to stay for the night and get a hot shower and a bed one last time before a week plus in the field. Looking for recommendations on where to stay or maybe more importantly where to avoid.

Will be headed just west of telluride to deer hunt this 3rd season. Plan on getting there a few days early in the middle of the week to do some scouting and get camp setup. It's about a 16+ hour drive to my unit and I'm over the days of cannonball running to my spot especially alone. So I've decided to stop somewhere around Alamosa or Pagosa springs get a place to stay for the night and get a hot shower and a bed one last time before a week plus in the field. Looking for recommendations on where to stay or maybe more importantly where to avoid.
South Fork is a good option. There's a few hotels, cabins and AIRBNBs that should fit the bill. Super nice and small mountain town. Del Norte would be the next option. Any further east gets a little weird. I wouldn't stay in Alamosa unless you had to.

good general rule of thumb would be to not stay in the san luis valley - it's colorado's version of Breaking Bad.

but, you also can't go wrong with basically any mexican restaurant in the valley.

i'd personally push to pagosa springs and have a soak.

you can't pull off on the side of the road in pueblo to bury a body without being bothered.

ergo...

As a former resident of Pueblo I have to disagree, pueblo was so much worse lol

I only lived there 6 years, it's like Albuquerque-lite. I personally found one probable murder weapon and two illegal marijuana grows, and saw various car chases and the aftermath of several drive-by shootings, and knew a guy who'd found no less than 2 bodies in that time. Never had my car stolen though!

...but I'd still take Pueblo over Alamosa I think.

I only lived there 6 years. I personally found one probable murder weapon and two illegal marijuana grows, and saw various car chases and the aftermath of several drive-by shootings, and knew a guy who'd found no less than 2 bodies in that time. Never had my car stolen though!

...but I'd still take Pueblo over Alamosa I think.

i think i would still set up shop in pueblo given the choice between the two

1724865953929.png

if it was me I'd be looking at Southfork or Del Norte, if you go over wolf creek pass you may as well roll all the way to camp...

I was raised in SE Oklahoma so meth heads ain't nothing new here🤣. Although would absolutely like to avoid them, ideally forever but more realistically on my trip so Alamosa is probably out. If I go threw Albuquerque ( I know counter productive to avoiding meth heads) Durango is only about 45 minutes further then Pagosa springs through the Raton pass. That makes it less then a 3 hour drive to the unit. Any suggestions on places to stay in Durango? Also did I hear something about a nude sweat lodge?

Durango is only about 45 minutes further then Pagosa springs through the Raton pass. That makes it less then a 3 hour drive to the unit. Any suggestions on places to stay in Durango? Also did I hear something about a nude sweat lodge?
I have crews stay at the Best Western Rio Grande Inn all the time, decently convenient to all the downtown stuff and we haven't had anything stolen out of the trucks there...
Hillside Inn in Pagosa has also been decent.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back