MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What to do with carcasses and bones?

Bones and processing scraps go out in the field for the birds and critters. Fun to watch the interaction between the ravens, eagles, magpies and other birds.

Second the stock making. I save as many of the bones as I can and then we make stock on football watching days. This year I am going to learn to actually can it vs just freezing it.

For stock, we just keep bags of the cut odds and ends of our veggies in the freezer too. That way by the time we want to make stock we have plenty of carrots, onions, herbs, etc that just get thrown into the stock pot to simmer.

Second the stock making. I save as many of the bones as I can and then we make stock on football watching days. This year I am going to learn to actually can it vs just freezing it.

For stock, we just keep bags of the cut odds and ends of our veggies in the freezer too. That way by the time we want to make stock we have plenty of carrots, onions, herbs, etc that just get thrown into the stock pot to simmer.
Get one of these, buy once cry once. https://www.allamericancanner.com/

I tried burying several around my house last year just to see if it would help with trees etc. But foxes came at night and dug them all off. Either bone broth or burning it has my interest though.

This is admittedly weird and a little bit hippie, but it makes me feel a little gross to toss the last remains of a wild creature I killed into the dump. I really like to leave the carcass and bones in the field or somewhere near where the animal was harvested if at all possible. Just feels every so slightly more respectful that way (not that the animal knows any different).

You also may be shocked to hear I conducted a full military burial for a neon tetra after it died when I was 8 or so, so at least I've always been a little strange.

Back