Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What NOT to do.

He was honest. That makes him a stand up guy. A lesser man would have lied, arranged to meet me, and then bushwhacked me with a citation and confiscation. If it had been up to him and five years earlier, he'd have advised bringing it in for a second license. Too many headhunters in the dept at that time ... and they weren't hunting heads with antlers either. Typical govt. Incompetents trying to move up fast by making themselves look good at anyone's expense. He wouldn't make a promise he couldn't keep. Admirable.
I should have went with my gut and skipped this whole mess.

He was honest. That makes him a stand up guy. A lesser man would have lied, arranged to meet me, and then bushwhacked me with a citation and confiscation. If it had been up to him and five years earlier, he'd have advised bringing it in for a second license. Too many headhunters in the dept at that time ... and they weren't hunting heads with antlers either. Typical govt. Incompetents trying to move up fast by making themselves look good at anyone's expense. He wouldn't make a promise he couldn't keep. Admirable.
I'd argue if he were truly honest he would have written you the ticket his "incompetent" underlings were going to write you.

So we’re supposed to believe OH has this happen to him TWICE? Come on, guy!

Combined I am sure the people reading this have thousands of kills, some picked out of a herd…how many with that magical deflect?
yea.....I'll bet he's hanging out with that hush crew to learn all those tricks.

Joking aside.... this is becoming a problem.

I'd argue if he were truly honest he would have written you the ticket his "incompetent" underlings were going to write you.
Hard to do that over the phone. Whose name should he put on the ticket? John Doe? He never asked my name and I certainly didn't volunteer it. He was convinced it was unintended and didn't want any headaches for either of us. I can tell you, if he'd known who he was talking to, he would have been totally convinced. He knew my family well ... in a good way. My brother worked for him years earlier. Everyone knew I wasn't a poacher. It wasn't necessary to get what I wanted.

Hard to do that over the phone. Whose name should he put on the ticket? John Doe? He never asked my name and I certainly didn't volunteer it. He was convinced it was unintended and didn't want any headaches for either of us. I can tell you, if he'd known who he was talking to, he would have been totally convinced. He knew my family well ... in a good way. My brother worked for him years earlier. Everyone knew I wasn't a poacher. It wasn't necessary to get what I wanted.
Yeah you convinced me, if he'd have known you were a good ol boy he definitely would have looked the other way, very stand up.

Yeah you convinced me, if he'd have known you were a good ol boy he definitely would have looked the other way, very stand up.
Nice how you juveniles take things out of context. I said he would have been convinced it was unintentional. Just like he was convinced the climbers in his office would compel him to give me a citation. I probably could have cleared it away in local court but neither of us needed that headache. I wanted the elk to go to the Soldiers Home. That's what he wanted too. But it was just too much hassle. Hell, in those days you couldn't even pick up an elk you run over with a car. This one did find its way into a needy freezer. I took the risk and lost a day's wages (which I could ill afford!). No regrets if I'd got caught. At least it wouldn't have involved the stand up guy.

Last edited:
A stand-up guy with a great respect for wildlife wouldn't recommend wanton waste of an entire cow in order to avoid a citation.
What option did he have? Tell me to bring it in for a ticket he didn't think I deserved? I said I couldn't leave it up there. He said, "Yeah, I didn't think you would." I mean, some guy just called trying to do the right thing so the animal wouldn't go to waste. What else would he think? Then he asked where I shot it. "Umm ... oh yeah. Up the Middle Fork." He chuckled. "I had to ask."

Back to the OP's point. That was a risky shot. Shooter had all day to wait for a better one clear of all other animals. That may have been a public land hunt but those elk weren't very wild. What's the hurry?

Not to hijack your thread jtm307, but there sure seems to be an excess of unethical hunting videos on youtube this year. Maybe it's just me, but this one got my blood pressure up. At 11:08 he says, "we had not other options!", but to shoot a couple times at a heck of a long ways, and then give the bull a few hours to die before you go look? I expect better HUSH (I think).
Why would you expect better, they’re absolute clowns

OH, did you “report “ the deer overlimit or just leave the second one for the birds so as not to overburden anyone?

So after reading the 3 responses from OntarioHunter the short answer would be no, he did not report the incident to the authorities. :(
He did see “two
So after reading the 3 responses from OntarioHunter the short answer would be no, he did not report the incident to the authorities. :(
well, I his defense he did “see two white things sticking up out of his head”, so come in. That’s good enough right?

Why would you expect better, they’re absolute clowns

OH, did you “report “ the deer overlimit or just leave the second one for the birds so as not to overburden anyone?
I don’t know what all of you guys are reading in to this but @OntarioHunter never said he left the elk for bird food.
It wasn’t wasted even if he packed it out without a valid tag.

I don’t know what all of you guys are reading in to this but @OntarioHunter never said he left the elk for bird food.
It wasn’t wasted even if he packed it out without a valid tag.
its the wounding animals more then once part for me. Lack of situational awareness, lack of hunter safety knowledge.

Hell OH would of been a great machine gunner.

its the wounding animals more then once part for me. Lack of situational awareness, lack of hunter safety knowledge.

Hell OH would of been a great machine gunner.

You should hear his definitions of "Daily" and "Possession" limits when it comes to waterfowl.

• Haha
Reactions: KB_
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oez88
Back